Habitat differences between elassoma and leptolucania (pygmy killifish)?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

The title is highly descriptive...do elassoma and leptolucania have any notably different habitat preferences in the wild? I could've sworn that I read on this forum that there was some sort of difference between where the two fish were found, but I would just like to be sure since finding that one reference in amidst the over 100 Leptolucania references in the forums would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well I just went back and looked at my notes from March 2012 when we went "Back to the Swamp"... and we certainly were in some places that only had one or the other... but we also had a few places that had both. I don't remember it being habitat specific... I tend to think of them in the same habitat.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Digging this up because I was surfing around for some info to share with a friend.

I've caught leptolucania and Elassoma together a lot, but to date haven't hit a spot without Elassoma that did have leptolucania. Can't claim I've been all that systematic - sometimes I take a couple of swipes in a spot, catch what I'm after, and move on. I don't consider that very scientific sampling, though I do write down what I saw/caught in a spot like that, along with any other info I can determine (ph, temperature, date/weather/etc).

#4 Guest_velvetelvis_*

Guest_velvetelvis_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

What kind of plants did you find in that habitat?

#5 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:57 PM

They're largely syntopic throughout their range, Joshaeus....

#6 Guest_Nearctic_*

Guest_Nearctic_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:19 PM

If you are in 2 foot deep water,
crashing the net in a blink from above will catch LO,
but scooping under the floating plants will catch Elassoma and rarely a LO.

#7 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

I wish I could say I was consistent in each area, but at times I am not. Seining would be better "sampling", but, as Nearctic suggests, dip netting is not necessarily.

#8 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

I have most often found them in the same general area as well, blind dipping through vegetation. There are some places where I have found only Elassoma, and a few where I only find L.ommata.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users