Amazon Sword and Sprout

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Didnt someone saw that amazon swords are sort of native? I have a question about one that I have had for 8 or so years. It was just a few leaves when I got it, but is bigger than a medicine ball now (touches the front and the back of this 18" tank).
Posted Image
Now I have these things growing out the top of the aquarium. I assumed they might be flowering parts... but now the one has developed a new plant looking thing... can I propagate this? how? when? Or tell me what is going on here?
Posted Image
Sorry if this is not native enough I will have to moderate myself?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

You can absolutely propagate that. I've never bought a sword plant in my life. They've all come from snipping off similar sprouds on the plants from pet store I have worked at. A plantlet that size will reach the top of a 75 gallon tank within about 6-8 months in my experience.

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Michael, I've seen "runners" like that grow out of the water when the parent plant was at the bottom of a 4' tank. Generally you see a few plantlets on each runner, with flowers that blossom at the end. If you keep the runner on the surface or even submerged, the plantlets will start growing roots while still attached. At that point you can easily snip them off and replant them.
Nick L.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Thanks guys... I was sort of hoping it was that easy. I will have to see if I can bend these sprouts over, without breaking them, and get them to stay in the water and grow roots.

Derek, I think I paid like a $1.49 or something like that all those years ago. I certainly have got my money's worth. It fills half of this 58 gallon show tank (36 x 18 foot print) and creates a ton of hiding places between those big leaves.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:47 AM

Even if you break the stem--I'm pretty sure the plantlets will develope roots if they're still in the water. Especially since there is already significant foliage (photosynthetic) development. It just might be more beneficial for them to remain attached to the parent plant for additional nourishment during this time.
Nick L.

#6 Guest_Orangespotted_*

Guest_Orangespotted_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Most Amazon Swords sold in fish stores are not native, or at least not the species you have. Most likely yours is the tropical Echinodorus amazonicus or one of the common German-origin farm hybrids like "Rose". That said, the genus Echinodorus contains many species that are also native to the U.S., and E. bleheri and E. cordifolius are occasionally available in fish stores, but usually labeled something besides "Amazon" (for instance, E cordifolius has a cultivar called Marble Queen).

Also, those above water sprouts are self fertilized bloomstalks, you can check out similar ones here: http://aqualandpetsp...mazon Sword.htm .

They are impressive plants, no? Certainly ideal for LARGE aquariums (right up there with American Val in that sense)! Here in the U.S., the native species tend to grow emersed in the wild to avoid competition with algae but will tolerate being flooded over by forming new submersed-form leaves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users