Pickerel trying to eat too big salamander

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GambusiaNo2_*

Guest_GambusiaNo2_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hello. I have two Pickerels and one of them is trying to eat a salamander right now. I did not know that they could eat something that big. The same Pickerel ate a red worm the other day and was fat. The salamanders tail tip is sticking out of the Pickerels mouth and the Pickerel has it's left side of the belly bulging very much out. He is very skittish and stays on the bottom of the aquarium a lot of the time. Will he die? Also, I had three Pickerels in the same aquarium and one was a little smaller than the other two. I saw all three the morning after I got them but in the afternoon I could not find him. But the other Pickerels were not fat.

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Pickerels will eat prey items very nearly the same length as they are. I had two small nearly identical ones in a bottle for an hour so recently. When I went back to check there was one fat one.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

Some salamanders are more or less toxic... but he will likely not die from the large meal... and he is skittish because he knows that he is too fat to move fast... with a full belly they will often retreat behind some cover and just hang out. If the salamander was anything less than 80% or so of the size of the pickerel, I would bet the pickerel will be OK.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_GambusiaNo2_*

Guest_GambusiaNo2_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thank you for the information. The Pickerel swallowed the salamander around 4:10. The salamander was something like 80% the size of the Pickerel. To get the salamander inside the belly of the pickerel I think the salamander is twisted inside and is bulging very much out of the left side of the Pickerel's belly. I will be surprised if the Pickerel will live. I am going to separate the two Pickerel now.

Video. He looks worse when look from above than in this video. The larval salamander was probably a two lined salamander.

Edited by GambusiaNo2, 19 February 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#5 Guest_GambusiaNo2_*

Guest_GambusiaNo2_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

He looks alright. It is amazing that his belly looked like it would burst but he is alright. hahaha
Posted Image

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

next he will get bigger... turning fish food into bigger fish! And then he will want to eat more... maybe he will take a few days off... but at that size he will just keep eating... trying to get to 7 inches before he slows down any!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:51 AM

Yup .. the object of the survival game is "eat & grow faster than every other nearby pickerel". They are much like snakes ... eat something as big as possible, then go hide somewhere while they digest it.

#8 Guest_GambusiaNo2_*

Guest_GambusiaNo2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

Long video of him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users