My New Biofilter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Thought I'd share a few pics from the construction of a small living wall mounted above my 75 gal orchid tank. The wall itself consists of a double layer of EcoWeb.http://www.firstrays.com/ecoweb.htm The frame is constructed of PVC trim boards, backed with a sheet of old plexiglass too scratched to do much else with. Water is intermittently pumped by a MJ 1200 through a spraybar to trickle through the media and back into the tank. I don't have too much in the way of plants on it yet due my pickiness and this weather which is preventing the shipping of a bunch of stuff I ordered to stock it. The tank itself contains a carpet of Susswassertang , a slowly growing population of Lemon Tetras, and the reason for the slow growth, my female Banded Sunfish. Babies just tend to pop up in twos and threes when they get big enough to not be swallowed by the Sunfish. Population has gone from 6 to about 20 in 6 months.

Attached Files

• Attached File  gw1.jpg   140.27KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw2.jpg   263.02KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw3.jpg   277.57KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw4.jpg   403.39KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw5.jpg   122.95KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw11.jpg   120.07KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw13.jpg   192.03KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  gw15.jpg   116.13KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

That's a really cool plant wall. I love paludariums; they're so pretty. I'm not really familiar with semi-aquatic plants, though. Maybe our native fissidens fontanus would like that trickle? Or some cuban hemianthus callitrichoides? Please post pictures as you add plants to it and they grow in. That's going to be a super beautiful plant wall :)

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:24 AM

I suppose if I left the pump running all the time I could keep pretty much any plant that likes to grow emersed, but the intention is to grow mostly epiphytic plants. As it is the pump runs 1 hour on/1 hour off during the day and is off at night. My choice in plants runs toward the eclectic, so all I have on it right now is a rather uncommon Hoya imbricata and a few Cryptanthus. I have a few orchids and a Dischidia cochleata on order for it waiting on better weather. In the near future I hope to obtain a few FL natives such as Dendrophylax lindenii and Encyclia tampense.

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Thinking about it I'll probably try a Pipewort when mine thaw out this spring. I'll probably need to put a dedicated spotlight on it to give it enough light, but I think it could do well.

#5 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

That's a really cool plant wall. I love paludariums; they're so pretty. I'm not really familiar with semi-aquatic plants, though. Maybe our native fissidens fontanus would like that trickle? Or some cuban hemianthus callitrichoides? Please post pictures as you add plants to it and they grow in. That's going to be a super beautiful plant wall :)

I really don't consider that set up a paludarium Erica, though I suppose many would. To me it's just a big orchid mount sitting on top of an aquarium Here's a few pics of what I consider my paludarium. I'll get some more up after the fog clears:

Attached Files

• Attached File  p1.jpg   103.12KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  p2.jpg   84.9KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  p3.jpg   87.28KB   0 downloads

#6 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

How is that mist being generated?

#7 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

There are two ultrasonic humidifiers, one in the water and one above the tank.

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'd have just about killed for your paludarium in my not-so-distant dart frog days! Would need to modify it to account for pdf's very poor swimming, but not much. Very, very nice habitat. Come to think on it, a set up like that with some native fishes and anurans would be awesome...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#9 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

I want to put a tall top on it and keep a couple of small arboreal Pit Vipers. I used to have a Bothriechis aurifer and would love to find a pair. When the grandkids move out......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users