Collection Techniques ?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kavin2845_*

Guest_Kavin2845_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hey guys im new to all this and was wondering what the best way to collect fish is?

I was thinking of making 2-3 2 litter soda bottle traps and setting them around my lake and checking back the next day, would that be fine or is their any better way of doing this, lake is about 2-3 min away by bicycle

thanks!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

In my experience, a seine or even a dipnet, is much more effective than traps... check out the main NANFA page

http://www.nanfa.org...ollecting.shtml
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Kavin2845_*

Guest_Kavin2845_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

In my experience, a seine or even a dipnet, is much more effective than traps... check out the main NANFA page

http://www.nanfa.org...ollecting.shtml

wouldn't moving around in the water and kicking up debris scare off fish?

Edited by Kavin2845, 27 February 2014 - 10:03 PM.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Many of the fish that do best in aquariums are those that hide in plant beds, leaves, under logs, etc. They dash for cover when spooked, but dont go too far, so you can still net them by scooping into plants and leaves or turning over logs and rocks. For open-water fish that flee but dont dash under nearby cover, yes you might scare them away. You learn different techniques for different fish.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Might seem odd, but with good technique, a seine even handled by a single person will score more fish in an hour by far than a trap will in 24. Also kicking up debris and clouding the water often works to the benefit of the fisherman. Come to the convention, and you will see how it works, surprisingly simple.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

The short answer is "no".

The longer answer is that, much like Gerald says there are different techniques that work for different fishes. So for example, if you are in a stream, the water is already flowing. So like you were talking in another thread about dace... which come from a flowing water habitat. They actually think of any debris as a potential food item and come rushing TO your disturbance in some cases (Cyprinella shiners are like this as well... I tend to make two passes with the seine... one where I think the fish might be and another through the cloud of debris that I created during the first pass). Darters and sculpin and madtoms tend to hide in the substrate when they see you coming... but the NANFA darter shuffle into the seine flushes them out and into the seine. Sunfish and some others (like the mudminnows you were talking about) are definitely associated with the plants and will just stick tight. You can seine from the middle of the water right up and around their shoreline plant hiding place and scoop em up (that's what the guys are doing with the dipnets in the other link I sent you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-tVoDvAWk
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

Yes, you use it to your advantage and kick the substrate to scare them into the net.

I prefer dipnets myself, seines may catch more, but are unwieldy to use alone.

#8 Guest_Khai Wan_*

Guest_Khai Wan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Try using the 4x4 seine if you go solo. I caught many fish using this.

#9 Guest_Kavin2845_*

Guest_Kavin2845_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

The short answer is "no".

The longer answer is that, much like Gerald says there are different techniques that work for different fishes. So for example, if you are in a stream, the water is already flowing. So like you were talking in another thread about dace... which come from a flowing water habitat. They actually think of any debris as a potential food item and come rushing TO your disturbance in some cases (Cyprinella shiners are like this as well... I tend to make two passes with the seine... one where I think the fish might be and another through the cloud of debris that I created during the first pass). Darters and sculpin and madtoms tend to hide in the substrate when they see you coming... but the NANFA darter shuffle into the seine flushes them out and into the seine. Sunfish and some others (like the mudminnows you were talking about) are definitely associated with the plants and will just stick tight. You can seine from the middle of the water right up and around their shoreline plant hiding place and scoop em up (that's what the guys are doing with the dipnets in the other link I sent you).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-tVoDvAWk

wow i actually never knew this, its pretty amazing, as a fisherman the only time i would disturb the water is if i have a topwater popper, but other than that i would be quiet and try to not scare the fish.

Thanks to everyone that contributed! i will try both methods making some traps and going out and buying a dipnet, any good brands out their? any special shape i need?

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

Jonah's perfect dipnet... Jonah's Aquarium... he is a NANFA member and an all around good guy

#11 Guest_Kavin2845_*

Guest_Kavin2845_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

Jonah's perfect dipnet... Jonah's Aquarium... he is a NANFA member and an all around good guy

Alright thanks ill have to check him out

#12 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

There is a thing sold in sporting goods stores called an umbrella net. I have never caught any fish with mine. Maybe there is a trick to it? I dunno. Learn the trick first, then buy one; I did it vice versa and all it's done is been something to hand someone when we're out fishing. "I don't want to touch a fish." "Okay, you're in charge of the umbrella net." or "You have a rod, you and you do the seine with me. You.... [there's one too many people]..... get this umbrella net, here you go."

Also, search the seine mesh size on your department of fish / wildlife before buying one. They have legal minimum and maximum sizes.

#13 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

Alright thanks ill have to check him out

I agree, in my opinion Perfect Dipnet is best. If you cannot get one a fine mesh landing net can do (though finding fine mesh ones is not always easy). Though they are much much more flimsy (rocks WILL get kicked into nets) and their rounded bottom makes it easier for fish to get by them.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

There is a thing sold in sporting goods stores called an umbrella net. I have never caught any fish with mine. Maybe there is a trick to it? I dunno. Learn the trick first, then buy one; I did it vice versa and all it's done is been something to hand someone when we're out fishing. "I don't want to touch a fish." "Okay, you're in charge of the umbrella net." or "You have a rod, you and you do the seine with me. You.... [there's one too many people]..... get this umbrella net, here you go."

Also, search the seine mesh size on your department of fish / wildlife before buying one. They have legal minimum and maximum sizes.

I don't understand why you would recommend something that you then explain that you have never used it and/or it does not work?

#15 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

I don't understand why you would recommend something that you then explain that you have never used it and/or it does not work?

I am saying that although it is common and stocked by basically every sporting goods store, it does not work to catch fish. It's sad 'cause they don't carry seines and only half of them carry dip nets, but basically every store has an umbrella net in stock.

#16 Guest_Kavin2845_*

Guest_Kavin2845_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'll have to stick to the dipnet i think their is more control to it that the umbrella net.

and thanks for the ti on the mesh size, i never even though about it

#17 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Try using the 4x4 seine if you go solo. I caught many fish using this.

This weekend a few of us gathered in Alabama for some collecting sampling. I have always considered myself to be well above average with a dipnet. But in a small creek environment, I was *thoroughly* outfished by Mike Lucas (NY) with his 4ft seine, Philip Kukulski (MI) with his +/- 4 ft uniseine, and Sean Sanders (AL - a herp guy!!!) with his homemade 4ft seine made of (tough) mosquito netting.

It was humbling. I have repented about my errant ways, and will be making a 4ft seine for myself ASAP.

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:07 PM

don't doubt yourself DD... I still remember that day on the Ohoopee when, after we had seined for a little while and I sat down to take photo, you came up with the best looking Male Bannerfin Shiner we have ever seen... with a dipnet... a Cyprinella!!

#19 Guest_don212_*

Guest_don212_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

tried those little traps, didn't work at all, those umbrella nets are difficult to use fish are spooky around them and often escape before you can retrieve them, I use a dipnet made from a repurposed aluminum landing net with a replacement grass shrimp net and a 4ft extension from a mop handle . works good and easy also have a 4 ft seine and a castnet that idon't know how to use yet, hoping to learn at convention.

#20 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

A castnet is killer for open water species like whitetail or silver shiners. Even some benthic species that prefer shallow water like blotched chubs can be caught en masse with a castnet. There's a long learning curve on how throw it correctly, I'm surprised it's not an Olympic event yet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users