Darters Ky.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Went out today to to collect some creek rock for my new aquarium and stumbled upon these guys.Clear creek. Kentucky.

Edited by cjohns, 09 March 2014 - 10:24 PM.

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

First one is a fantail or related species (not sure exactly what you have over in KY). Second one may be a female rainbow.

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

First photo looks like one of those striped fantail darters you guys have out there in KY (they don't look quite like that here in VA) and the second is a female, either rainbow or orangethroat (or variant). I'm leaning away from calling it a rainbow due to the striping it seems to have on the side, but rainbows can be fairly variable too, so I'm not totally sure.

#4 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

I thought the first wasFantail but he was very dark green on top and his markings were very dark as well. He was probably close to 3 inches.

#5 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

After looking at my Peterson and another guide dont think it is a stripetail just do to my location. Bullitt co / Hardin co Zip code 40150

#6 Guest_dac343_*

Guest_dac343_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

In KY you can use http://app.fw.ky.gov...speciesinfo.asp, you can search via county or quad (usually nearest city). Might help you next time.

1.) I'm thinking Etheostoma flabellare
2.) I'll go with female Rainbow.

#7 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

I have used this before excellent tool! Thanks.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

A difference between stripetails and fantails is that stripetails have a distinct subterminal black band in the first dorsal fin. That fish doesn't and is the local flavor of fantail.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

I like the profile of the fantails, kind of a bad-arse look, especially for a darter.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

I like the profile of the fantails, kind of a bad-arse look, especially for a darter.

Ha ha agreed. .they look aggressive.

#11 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Im having trouble determining if this is a orangethroat or headwater darter.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Where is it from in KY? That will be a big help.

#13 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

O sorry... same as the others on this page. Clear water creek. Runs into the Rolling fork in Bullitt county. 40150

#14 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Anything in the Salt River system (such as the Rolling Fork) will be E. lawrencei (Headwater Darter).

#15 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Ok thanks.

#16 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

I think most, if not all, Orangethroats in the Green River system is E. lawrencei as well.

#17 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Anything in the Salt River system (such as the Rolling Fork) will be E. lawrencei (Headwater Darter).

I think most, if not all, Orangethroats in the Green River system is E. lawrencei as well.

Ok ill remember that. I need two take a good look at the peterson hand book. I was just going off of a more generic guide i have. ( pocketguide to Easter Streams) Its shows Orangethroat darters all over Kentucky. So Headwater darters are a subspecies of a orangethroats?

Edited by cjohns, 07 April 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

no, not technically a sub-species any more. now they are a full species. orangethroats have essentially been split into several different species. so an old book might say they are everywhere, and a newer book would show an "orangethroat complex" that is made up of several species that look similar but are distinct in their own ways.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#19 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:32 PM

no, not technically a sub-species any more. now they are a full species. orangethroats have essentially been split into several different species. so an old book might say they are everywhere, and a newer book would show an "orangethroat complex" that is made up of several species that look similar but are distinct in their own ways.

I understand thanks.

#20 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Not a darter but Im having trouble figuring out the id of this minnow. Clear Creek ky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users