Photo

Possible removal of Modoc Sucker from Endangered Species List

2 replies to this topic

#1 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

I couldn't decide whether to put this in the Conservation, West Regional or Suckers area of the forum. I don't suppose it matters all that much, and I'm a sucker guy, so I'm putting it here.

There's been more potentially positive endangered species news out of Oregon lately than usual. The Oregon Chub will be delisted, and I'm sure most other sucker fans have heard the news regarding the petition to delist the Modoc Sucker. I'm simultaneously hopeful and cynical. Really conflicted. I want it to be true that the species is in good enough shape to warrant removal from the list, but I'm worried about the motives of the petitioner (a conservative/libertarian group that likes personal and economic freedom). It's not hard to imagine removal of protections leading to rapid deterioration of habitat and a species facing extinction faster than new protections can be put in place. Two other endangered suckers are in the area (Lost River Sucker and Shortnose Sucker).

Please take a minute to google the Modoc Sucker, or see photos and read the post I wrote about it on my site: http://moxostoma.com...ger-endangered/ I linked to some other articles as well.
I'd appreciate hearing other people's thoughts, insights, etc. If you have something to add, please leave a comment on the post on my site as well as responding here.
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#2 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

If two other endangered species occupy the same habitat it's likely that the habitat will remain secure. Suitable habitat is all most fish species need to maintain healthy populations, barring introduced pathogen, fish or other predatory species. I could be misreading you, but it seemed that you used the words "economic and personal freedom" like they're a bad thing. Given the alternative they are not.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

In this case it's worth putting the phrase in quotes... But I hope the species is truly recovering, always a big "if". (I love quotes!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users