Raleigh & Greensboro areas, Apr 15-19, 2014

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Wildlife artist Jan Porinchak is coming to NC to visit family near Raleigh Apr 15-19 and he would like to get out and do some collecting that week. We might try a couple sites close to Raleigh on a weekday late afternoon, and on Sat (19th) maybe head west to sites between Durham and Greensboro for crescent shiners, redlip shiners, mountain redbelly dace, rosyside dace, roanoke darters, and others. Anybody interested?

Jan's website: http://www.naturewor....com/index.html

There's a field trip account and photos from Jan's previous NC trip a few years ago somewhere on this forum, but I haven't found them yet.

Ahhh here it is: http://forum.nanfa.o...ril/#entry74970

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

I remember that last trip when Jan was in town and it turned out to be a blast. I'm definitely interested, though I'd probably be limited to that Saturday trip a little closer to my neck of the woods.

#3 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

I have polled my local club and will see if I can get a group together. More specific dates and locations would help.

#4 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

We have yesses within a few hours. They want to know where and when.

Tracy said, "... I'll just have to sit this one out. But as soon as I'm fully healed I'm tagging along. But as soon as my 40 planted is up I'm getting some darters."
Michael said, "i would be interested"
John said, "yeah, depending where and when"
Bojan said, "i would love too if its in or near greensboro. ive been actually dying to do a whole tank dedicated to nc and our plants and fishies !"

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

I'm thinking we can meet in Hillsborough beside Waffle House at I-85/I-40 exit 164 (north of highway, near the Daniel Boone statue) on Sat Apr 19, maybe around 10-ish, and head north to Hyco Creek, then some other spots. I'll check with Jan about timing.

#6 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

When I announce this to my club, do they need fishing licenses? Is there any fee for attending, or is it free?

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Free, and no WRC license needed .. we'll work under my scientific-educational permit.

10 am at Waffle House on Churton St in Hillsborough, Daniel Boone Village. Take exit 164 off I-85 (coming from Durham or Burlington), or exit 261 off I-40 (coming from Chapel Hill) and go north. PM me if you need my cell#.

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

Well it was just me, Jan, and Todd Wenzel. Weather looked pretty horrible that morning, but by the time we left Waffle House (the locals were having a good time teaching Jan about grits) the rain had stopped and I dont think we got rained on again all day. At Hyco Creek north of Hillsborough we found several hundred Mtn redbelly dace, around 100 crescent shiners, a couple dozen rosyside dace and bluehead chubs, and just a few rosefin shiners and speckled killies. Also caught dozens of Johnny and fantail darters, two-lined salamander larvae, and 3 or 4 monster (16 - 20") notchlip redhorses (pretty big for a 6 x 4' seine anyway). Then we tried another small stream east of Hillsborough, but water was roaring-high and tricky to work a net in. Caught just a few fish there: white shiner, Roanoke darter, bluehead chub, redbreast and green sunfish, LM bass. I did not take pics but Jan and Todd said they'd send me some to post.

#9 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

You caught some neat fish. I'm looking forward to the photos.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users