Marking minnow traps

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

This is going to sound odd, but I have to mark my minnow traps (with name, number, and possibly address) but haven't (despite using them) because I am not sure if their is a way to mark them that is water proof and would work on both black and metallic traps. With streams starting to thaw and me wanting to be legal on this I wonder if you have any ideas.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

Kelvar and a Sharpie, maybe?

#3 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

I bought copper trap tags with my name and info stamped on them and attached them with a ring.

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Trap tags might be hard to find in some areas, but metal plant tags which can be inscribed with a ball point pen are widely available.

#5 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

I ordered them online.

#6 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Wouldn't it make more sense to put the tag on the end of the rope, not underwater on the trap itself?

#7 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Part of owning an excessive amount of packing tape was discovering its usefulness for laminating paper. As long as there's enough excess over the edges of the paper, it's waterproof. You could even use it to seal a sandwich bag around paper, waterproofing it that way.

#8 Guest_michifish_*

Guest_michifish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

I have tried packing tape and it did not last long term.

#9 Guest_kirbylfth_*

Guest_kirbylfth_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:16 AM

i know at the Walmart down the road you can get dog tags stamped in a machine, no idea what the cost is but its worth looking into

#10 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

All of the major "big box" home improvement centers have metal stamp sets for under ten bucks. Any scrap metal that's not hardened will do for a tag like this. You'll then have stamps for marking all kinds of metal objects!

#11 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

For super cheap tags that won't rust, I'd google custom cattle ear tags.

#12 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Well I for one am not going to argue this subject with someone named "Markwell"!

#13 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

Well I for one am not going to argue this subject with someone named "Markwell"!

Ha! To be honest, this idea stemmed from Lance and not me. It works well, but is one of many paths to a destination....

#14 Guest_BSPhotography_*

Guest_BSPhotography_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

Go to a pet shop that does engraved plastic dog tags. More expensive than a waterproof marker or a metal stamping set, but won't rust, or wipe off either.

EZUSigns.com may also be able to help if you have a bunch of traps that you want to get markers for, though they aren't inexpensive either.

#15 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

I missed this topic when it first came up, but what I did for mine was cut a piece out of a pop can and scrawl the required information on the shiny side with an awl. To get rid of sharp edges I just folded the edges over and crimped it with pliers. I put a strip of duct tape along the edges as well, just to be extra safe. Punched a hole in it with the awl, and zip tied it to the trap.

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

I never put much thought into this. I like the cattle ear tag idea. Probably because I have extras laying around. I will probably never use them for this as I have found minnow traps to be less efficient than nets, and not as much fun. Here is a link for ear tags. Just put your info on them with a sharpie, and you are set. If you don't need 25, then sell your leftovers to other members. Or bring them to the convention, and donate them to the auction. They do have a convenient hole to attach them, and they do hold up well. I have cows who have had the same ear tag for 12 years. Their ears usually rip before the tag fails. If you change address, clean them off, and write your new info.

http://www.tractorsu...lank-pack-of-25

#17 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

I still think you should attach the tag to the end of your rope. When the game warden comes by to check, you don't want him pulling your trap out of the water to see if it's in compliance, nor other curious fishermen. The tag should be visible when they walk up.

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

I agree.

#19 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

What is the point of marking them? People just steal my traps......Kentucky.

Sent from my Nexus 5

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

I think that marking them is legally required in many states Josh.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users