Willow cats

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

When I went fishing awhile a go I had these tiny catfish mixed with the minnows were the best bait for walleye. Does anyone know what they are really called and how to catch them.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

This is a pretty vague question. Could be juveniles of almost any species, or could be one of the many madtom species.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

There was an article in AC about "Willow Cats" a couple years ago. The article was about captive propagation of tadpole madtoms for use as bait.

#4 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

What is ac

#5 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

AC is American Currents, our NANFA magazine.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

See now Sunfishcatcher, you have just discovered that this forum is not NANFA, its just our forum. You need to head over to the main NANFA webpage http://www.nanfa.org and see what we are really all about; including our top notch publication American Currents. And you get a fresh new copy every quarter with your annual NANFA membership.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

What could you possibly catch that would be better than a tadpole madtom?

#8 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Anybody know which issue of AC had the Willow Cats article in it?

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'm not sure Mark, but I can look it up for you this weekend... seems to me that it was within the last couple years (but I am getting old and memory is getting particularly bad with time spans). Since it is an AC article I think I can even repost it over in a members only area of the forum... you technically got it anyway not that long ago.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Mike! Don't go to any trouble. I'm sure I have the issue, I just don't know which one it is. If you figure it out, please let me know. Thanks!

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

American Currents Vol. 35, No. 2 Summer (August) 2009 - The cover is the four Aces from the Fishes of the Big Muddy Playing Cards

“Willow Cats” for Sale? Madtoms (Genus Noturus) as Bait in the Upper Mississippi River Valley
by Philip A. Cochran and Mark A. Zoller

#12 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

In our area, willow cats are usually tadpole madtom or stonecat tho I've seen some YOY bullheads are sold with these madtoms at some local bait stores.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users