New Fishies

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

NANFAns, the Fish List has been updated! Lot's of new stuff! Check it out: http://jonahsaquariu...te/fishlist.htm

Register for NANFA Con 2014. See you there!

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Wow that IS a lot of new stuff! Nice articles, books, and nets selection too.

#3 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Thank you for noticing! :biggrin:

#4 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Woah, elassoma okatie. They're not often (ever?) available elsewhere. Are you breeding them?
And you've organized everything by fish type, making it much easier to browse. Great list :) I send people to your website like once every three days, you know, lol.

#5 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Sweet! Thank you, Erica! I'm going to put some okatie out to breed this year. If it goes well, I hope to have plenty to share in the fall.

#6 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

I've recently put two male and three female elassoma okefenokee in a bucket tank (sterilite tub three inches of water deep x 2 feet ish x 1 foot ish) packed with ceratophyllum with a clamp light and 1600 lumen bulb over it. After a month and a half in the bucket tank (fed one cube of bloodworms every two days; I'm lazy), I withdrew the adults and then was able to pull out 75 juveniles. There were around 20 ish fry leftover too small to net. So for each month and a half five adults spend in a bucket tank produces around 100 offspring.

I am saying this because I really want you to produce like a bajillion elassoma okatie. That fish is so rare, I can't remember more than three aquabid auctions of them in the past three years. April starts in one week so that means that by like the first week of May you could have 100 per 5 adults per bucket. *nudge nudge* The last aquabid auction for okatie (April 2013) went for $35 for a single pair of them
http://www.aquabid.c...ative1365776843

I have no room to breed okatie myself, so I must live vicariously through others.

#7 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Also, ho ho ho I have just now spammed the killifish groups with pictures of your okatie and links to your site. Prepare for some sales. *evil cackle*

#8 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

In the words of Monty Burns, Eeexcellent! fingers drumming. :biggrin: I am a pretty lazy breeder so I'll probably just put them out in a large tank and see what happens... mostly because I have _a_lot_ of projects going. But I do appreciate your enthusiasm! And very much your getting the word out!!! Thank you!!!

#9 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

I totally empathize time being divided among multiple projects (me too)
I find that pulling the adults is the real important thing. In a standard shaped aquarium, it's like: Pull the adults after a month to a month and a half? 100 babies. Don't pull the adults? No babies. I'm not sure why it makes such a big difference.

With the bucket tank's only three inches of water and the floating ceratophyllum it's super easy to just set the plant tissue in a container off to the side, scoop the adults out, put the plant back in, done. I didn't even feed those fry at all that first month and a half, just added a spoon full of flake food once every four days or so for the plant's sake. There's something about three inches deep of water that encourages microfauna.

Edit:
Forgot to mention: No water changes, ever. I just topped it off to keep it around 3 inches deep.
Also, no filter.
Or substrate.

#10 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

Cool technique. Very innovative. Minimize labor. I'm all about that.

#11 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

It's taken me a few years to really maximize my 'labor efficiency' ;)

So, on a different note. I was looking up info on okatie to answer a question for someone who saw my post and is thinking of buying them, and as I was looking up info I see they're classified as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List. http://www.iucnredli.../details/7129/0
What's the legality for you selling them? I don't know how that works.

#12 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

They are considered species of concern due to their very limited distribution which holds no legal protection. They are often abundant in proper habitat.

#13 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

What would happen to the captive bred ones a person was breeding if they became listed as endangered?

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

People bred indigo snakes before they became Fed listed. They were grandfathered in somehow, and you can still purchase indigo snakes. It does however require a fairly easy to get permit and proper documentation. Not sure that things would still be handled this way though.

#15 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Really can't answer that. Captive bred fish tend to be treated differently. Take Zoogeneticus tequila and Xiphophorus couchianus for example. Both of those species are possibly extinct in the wild but captive bred fish are widely available in the aquarium hobby.

This being said, I don't foresee these fish being listed as state or federally protected in the near future. Now, boehlkei is a very different story.

#16 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

As of this moment, I am not aware of any legal or ethical impediments to selling or owning Elassoma okatie. If anyone knows of any, please do share. I'd prefer that you did that in a private message or email to me. As far as any future legal status change for this species, I'm not aware of any pending actions or need for them. It's hard to speculate on what might happen if a person owned them and their status changed. There are a lot of possible variables there. I'm not a lawyer so I'm not really qualified to give any reliable advice. In any case, my policy is to comply with all applicable laws and to always collect and sell ethically. I have the utmost concern for the protection, preservation and appreciation of all living things, in fact the entire natural world. Keeping fishes is part of that understanding and appreciation. Always aquariate responsibly.

#17 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

I breed a few extinct in the wild species myself. The CARES and GWG groups both exist, showing that captive breeding rare fishes is really very ethical. I just wasn't sure what the difference was between breeding a 'vulnerable' fish, breeding an 'endangered' fish, and breeding an 'extinct in the wild' fish. There is no question that responsible captive breeding helps all three, I just didn't know the laws involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users