Ph matters for leptolucania ommata?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

...well, does it? Any input from people who have actually bred this fish would be much appreciated. Also, will they take flake?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

Mine take flake. They don't like it much but they eat it. They do better on high quality stuff like earthworm or cyclopseeze don't use just generic stuff.

Mine have bred in my tap water (dechlorinated but not otherwise treated) here in Athens, GA. But I don't know our pH here exactly.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

OK. I was just going to use the flake as a main diet and supplement it with frozen food, with infusoria and vinegar eels being used to feed the fry. By the way, will they (the adults) take decapsulated brine shrimp?

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I dont know, I never tried. Mine get high end flake and frozen brine shrimp or mysis as their main diet. Then occasionally in the summer I get plants from an outside tub that has no fish in it and put the outside plants in their tank and they hunt down stuff I cannot see... it is fun to watch them get so intense as they are usually so laid back.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

My water is 8.2 they bred well in a large tub. 4-40 watt tubes, tons of hornwort, and no feed. Overwintered in my garage with temps down to near freezing. The hornwort brought in plenty of critters that provided feed.

#6 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

My water is 8.2 they bred well in a large tub. 4-40 watt tubes, tons of hornwort, and no feed. Overwintered in my garage with temps down to near freezing. The hornwort brought in plenty of critters that provided feed.

Didn't know that they were that cold tolerant! Never would have expected that out of a Florida fish.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

I got mine from Georgia. And there are plenty of years that we get a hard freeze even down towards the Okefenokee.

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Some would have you believe that these southern natives cannot take cold. They may not enjoy it, but certainly can survive it.

#9 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

I know this is an old post, but at what temperatures did the L. Ommata breed?

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Whatever temperature my basement was, plus one fluorescent bulb, but no other heat. I don't remember what time of year it was but I would guess that the tank temp was in the low 70s in the basement.

#11 Guest_Joshaeus_*

Guest_Joshaeus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:39 AM

Anything else I should know about breeding L. Ommata?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users