day trips at Convention

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

During yesterday's field trip with Dustin and some members from the Charlotte Aquarium Society, several expressed interest in just going collecting for a day and not staying the entire time.

At the last NC convention, we offered day trips for $15. Unless I get a lot opposition, I'll go ahead with it.

Fritz

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

I agree; thats a good way to get participation from locals and students, some of whom might catch the bug and join. BTW is anybody spreading the word at App, UNC-A, other schools in the area? I can knock together a quick letter-size poster using the t-shirt art, if we've got some local contacts, professors, or students to print and tape them up. Bait & tackle shops might be good targets too.

#3 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

Don't necessarily oppose the idea, but it's worth noting that at NANFA Conventions we're generally somewhat capacity-constrained on the number of good sites suitable for 8-20 people at a time, and the number of hosts/guides available as trip leaders. And some NANFAns come a long way for the experience. Don't want to dilute the long-rangers' satisfaction for a flood of people who, by virtue of the fact they're interested in just one day of the convention, could equally well do day-trips on their own to the area at any time.

That said, outreach and attracting new prospective members is important too, and IMO nothing does that like experiencing wet-footed fun with knowledgeable NANFAns.

The ideal might be to have a sense of the comfortable participant capacity for the planned field trips, and offer "stand by" day trips on a space-available basis, depending on how many people sign up for the entire convention. (Speaking of which, I'm going to go sign up for that today myself.)

#4 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

The guy who specifically asked me was interested in the electrofishing experience on Friday. While I'm not opposed to a "flood" of outsiers, but as the one who is organizing the trips, the smaller the better.

Gerald - lets wait and see what shakes out with NANFAans. I've had several non-members sign up which is exciting.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Go with it Fritz. I am thinking a bit like Doug. Limit it to two or three extra's per trip.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

My experience is that more than likely less people will show up than originally committed. I don't see it being a problem.

Sent from the Paranoid-Manta using tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users