Articial Spawning Site for Pirate Perch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

I have been playing with pirate perch over the last few years trying to devise an egg collection system that might be deployable in the wild. I got one the works and it might work for spring cave fish and swamp fish as well. It even works in a community setting. Criteria if had to meet was it is easily recognizable by fish, collects eggs spawned out naturally and contains embryos and pro-larvae but allows their harvest with minimal damage.

Would such be worth of the American Currents?

#2 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Absolutely. Sounds very interesting.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Yes please, I am very curious and I am sure others would be interested as well.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

All that is needed is picture of pirate perch using it. Design is dirt cheap and well suited for experimentation.

#5 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

I would guess acrylic yarn spawning mops like killifish breeders use might work. You could loosely tie or rubber-band the bottom of the strands (in addition to the usual top tie) to keep the mop somewhat rigid (like a willow root mat), and untie it to remove the eggs. Do swampfish and spring cavefish spawn in root mats too? I've certainly caught swampfish in root mats and thick Fontinalis mats in flowing water during late winter/early spring.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

I have done the spawning mops as well but had trouble collecting eggs or fish did not like using it. Design I am using now they really like and get eggs in quantity is very easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users