Notropis chrosomus

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:18 AM

Hey guys, we are heading up from the FL panhandle to eastern TN (near gatlinburg) for a vacation in the mountains here in a few weeks. Knowing that I'm crossing over prime rainbow shiner territory, figured I'd ask if anyone had any suggestions of where I should plan to stop in and go sampling a bit. I'll be sure to get any permits necessary beforehand. Any other interesting species in this area to keep an eye out for?

Thanks!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

I believe that the current rules in TN are essentially "no collecting" but if you bring your neoprene you might want to stop in Conasauga for a snorkel!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

I believe that the current rules in TN are essentially "no collecting" but if you bring your neoprene you might want to stop in Conasauga for a snorkel!

Is that TN or KY? I thought you could collect in one but not the other, and I always get them confused!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

I am pretty sure it is TN that has a "no live take away from the stream" kind of rule. I am up there often and we have had to change our behaviour in recent years. Also when we had the convention recently in KY we were able to collect with a fishing license.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

Ok, but I'll probably forget again!

#6 Guest_Nearctic_*

Guest_Nearctic_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

I wanted to try Pinchgut Creek and the Cahaba in Trussvile, AL.

p.s. The locals are suspicious of anyone collecting bait in Collinsville, AL.

#7 Guest_jetajockey_*

Guest_jetajockey_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Good to know about TN. We are getting a cabin up there near the touristy parts of the smokies. Most of our trip is going to be in alabama, though, along 65 and northeastward, so I may hit a few places on the way back.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

I've never had problems in Collinsville, which is pretty much my go-to site for rainbow shiners and southern studfish. The typical collecting site, defined by road access and parking ease, is close to both the police station and the rescue squad neither of whom has ever looked twice at us. But maybe times change?

#9 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

It never hurts to drive an "experienced" pick'em-up truck with in-state license plates. And no matter where you are, out-of-state plates get more attention.

Last time I was in Collinsville, I didn't have any idea where I was supposed to be going, and was just wandering around. (Aside: before anybody chimes in, YES, I concede this is my SOP most places I go. Like everything else, one's improvisational skills will atrophy without practice. So I practice diligently.) A bunch of local kids on bikes started leading me around, showing me where the deeper parts of the water were, and where they'd seen colorful fish. And about every four foot "watch out right there .... saw a mocassin there once." (I didn't see any.) Only got a few scattered N. chrosomus but in a 3ft wide creek/ditch caught a massive Lux. chrysocephalus (striped shiner) that still ranks as one of the most spectacularly colored fish I have ever seen in my life. I ***REALLY*** need a handy pocket camera.

#10 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

A big 10-4 on the Lux. chysocephalus. The very first time I ever saw one in full spawning color just so happened to also be the first time I ever saw one at all, and I didn't know WHAT to make of it. What a sight!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users