Best shiners/minnows/dace to go with darters?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_QuoVadis_*

Guest_QuoVadis_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

I currently have a 29g native riffle tank that houses:
1 Central Mudminnow
1 Blackside Darter
1 Johnny Darter
1 Greenbanded Darter
1 Longnose Dace
1 Blacknose Dace
1 Redside Dace (I think - thought it was a juvenile golden shiner when I collected it, now think it is Redside dace because it have not changed in it's appearence, it still only about 1 1/2 in, has a very upturned mouth, and stays at the top of the water like a danio. Still no red though...so?)

Are there any shiners/minnows/dace that would work well, specifically not be too aggressive during feedering and staying like 2in or under? My greenbanded and to a lesser degree my Johnny darter are slow, deliberate eaters, and when I had some bigger minnows and shiners they didn't get enough food, so I gave them to my Dad for his garden pond.

The redside dace (?) I think is lonely, but he is the only one I ever caught, so I'd like to add more, if I could find them, but haven't been able to find more. I considered adding white clouds because they aren't aggressive eaters, are pretty, cool water, and wouldn't look out of place, but I like to stick to natives if anyone can suggest any other options.

Also, how do fantail darters do at competeing for food? I added two before and both died within a day, which was weird because the green banded and dace were fine. I will be trying to add one of them (and a rainbow darter as well) this spring.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

You'll find that it isn't always the species, but the individual fish. I've had Bloodfin Darters that were aggressive and competed well for food, and others that were not and didn't get enough food. Shiners are not as picky eaters, so most should do just fine in competing for food. I particually like Cyprinella species in the aquarium, though they get biger than 2in. Most Notropis will be fine as well, I particularly like the Rosyface Shiner. Your Redside may not show much Red in the tank, mine didn't. If your fish are staying near the top of the aquarium, you may have other issues. Most shiners won't do that, unless they are trying to get out of current, or other issue.

For your darters, give them a variety of food (live/frozen) and you may want to feed them with a turkey baster so you can squirt the food down to them.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Here's a list of the fish near you

http://fishmap.org/w...030204,04030101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users