Alligator Snapper Now Recognized as 3 Species

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:22 PM

This is consistent with the bluegill and basses they are sympatric with. Anyone seen the original paper?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

I think someone forwarded it to me the other day... let me look for it in my emails...

there is now a suwanee drainage one
and an appalachicola drainage one
and then everything west of georgia
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I wonder if they taste different? Not that I'm too keen on preparing them to find out. The only thing uglier and smellier than the outside of a snapper is the inside of a snapper. I'll stick to cans on this one!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

I posted a full pdf of the paper in the Scientific Discussion Sub-Forum in the NANFA Member's Document Library
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

Attached File  Snapper.JPG   94.76KB   0 downloads

Snapping Turtle...
But it is an Alligator considering the luring tongue, so the Cherokee word for Alligator should have been added.
This is one of several posters displayed at the Cherokee Sequoyah Museum and is one in a series of a student graphic art and typography project.
Interesting artwork i thought to share.

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

This is consistent with the bluegill and basses they are sympatric with. Anyone seen the original paper?

Can you elaborate on that? I apologize I didn't read the paper and am not familiar with the topic, but interested.

Couldn't help thinking of birders with a chuckle. Everytime a bird species gets split, they get to add to their life list without going anywhere.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Mike, I think what Centrarchid was saying is that it seems that there are critters in the Appalachicola (Chattahoochee and Flint) drainage, that are different, unique, endemic even to that drainage. Some of these (like the alligator snapper or even the bluegill) have not been fully recognized in the past as a different species. But it seems they might be..

Now we have the turtle split, Centrarchid and others believe "handpaint" bluegill to be a different species, we have Chattahoochee bass, etc. So not sure who the zoogeography expert is around here, but there must be something specific and unique about this drainage that has allowed for or created this level of endemic speciation.

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Ahh yes, now I get it. The snake guys have the same issue with enigmatic and elusive Apalachicola kingsnake. No clue what geological feature would cause the endemic speciation.
To my uneducated ignorant azz, with the kingsnake and the sunfishes at least, seems more like morphology alone. Purdy colors but still the same critter. Not a point of view I have the means to defend, just 'pinion.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Mike, I'll put you in the "lumpers" column. Like me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users