Waukegan and Fox Chain sampling April/May

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

I'm going to head to the area in order to get some needed regional photos of fish. There won't be a ton of color, but there should be lots and lots of unusual fish sampled and photographed.
Weather permitting, I'm going to try and head out next weekend (either 4/26 or 4/27).
I could sure use help with nets as I have quite a few large nets that will help gather tons of fish. 3-5 additional people to handle nets would be great.
Please send me a PM if you're interested, we can then coordinate via email or right here on the forum.

#2 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

Where is this?

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

Looks like maybe northeast Illinois? What kinds of unusual fish are you expecting there? If you ever make it back down to Arkansas and want some help let me know.

#4 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:40 PM

Oops, sorry Mark. I should have mentioned that Waukegan is near the Illinois Wisconsin border right on Lake Michigan.
The possible list is rather extensive considering only a short drive away you have the Fox Chain of Lakes which I understand are kettle lakes.
Alosa pseudoharengus Alewife

Couesius plumbeus Lake Chub

Notropis anogenus Pugnose Shiner

Notropis heterodon Blackchin Shiner
Notropis heterolepis Blacknose Shiner

Osmerus mordax Rainbow Smelt

Lota lota Burbot

Gasterosteus aculeatus Threespine Stickleback

Pungitius pungitius Ninespine Stickleback

Coregonus artedi Cisco (and other unlikely coregonus)
Cottus cognatus
Cottus ricei
All of these and many more have been collected from these locations in the past.

Isaac, I have a couple of fish I still need to scrounge up in lower portion of the state. If I get a chance to target them, I'll be sure and send you a PM.

#5 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

I'd like to see and shoot adult Rainbow Smelt. I do not know much about this area and it's a long drive for me.
I would like to make it worthwhile. What's your past experience around this time? Probabily of getting some?

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:31 AM

Lance, I have never been to this location, therefore I can't give any informed likelihood of collecting Smelt.
According to fishermen, numbers have declined dramatically, but they used to go out with a seine, and fill a few 5 gallon buckets with fish in 10 minutes.

I do have enough big nets to cover a vast amount of water as long as we have six people. Two guys and the 20' bag seine shouldn't miss smelt though.

#7 Guest_Mike_*

Guest_Mike_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm free May 3/4 or 10/11, I would love to go.

#8 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

I don't think I'll be free next weekend (April 26-27), but if you change the date let me know. I'm interested in joining!

#9 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Wish I had seen this sooner. I'm pretty booked up this weekend.
I might be free next weekend, though, if you change your date. I might even already be just barely across the border in WI and could theoretically get away.
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#10 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Olaf....the weather forecast hasn't been very good for this weekend and we couldn't seem to muster enough people. I will try for next weekend but I may have a hard time organizing due to an unusually heavy workload next week. perhaps we should just communicate via email?
Provided weather is even half way decent next weekend, I'm going if we have enough people to drag nets.

#11 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Yes. Just copy me in any emails you send. I can't promise I'll be available, but I will try like crazy.
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users