Buffalo & Dry Land Fish Quest

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

Every year the Buffalo run up Citico Creek to spawn and dodge grabbling hooks thrown at them for sport.
Still a bit cold to jump in but plenty of fishy activity available.
Predicting the exact date has always been a challenge but my snorkel boss Jim is getting pretty good at it. Syncing that to my girl's Spring Break, Easter and a cabin rental is another challenge. Nonetheless Monday the 14th we found ourselves peering over the first bridge along with trout fisherman dangling corn, salmon eggs and shiny trinkets. A few dying buffalo lay on their sides gasping as the water flowed clear and inviting in the sunshine. We headed up stream to the Broken Arrow Lodge, actually a cabin, unloaded our assorted goods and took a streamside walk among the Spring flowers.

CrestedDwarfIris.JPG

Crested Dwarf Iris, Tennessee's state flower.

CCV1-DryLandFish.JPG

After a good bit of walking upstream and downstream we found this lone fungi by the parked van. Dry Land Fish, AKA the Yellow Morel, Esculenta Morchella, Wood Fish ( if your from West Virginia ) or Merkel, North Georgia dialect for Miracle in Foxfire country. Simmer in butter to best appreciate.

Bass.JPG

Rain began to fall that night and altered our Tuesday plans so we visited the Sequoyah Museum where a student graphic design and typography project had produced posters illustrating Sequoyah's alphabet for the Cherokee. I had hoped to find a Hogsucker poster, Da Lo Ge as the Cherokee pronounce it, or another fishy specie but only found this dang old Bass, eater of the fish we NANFans love. Hogsuckers are not appreciated by the unschooled.

BrokenArrow.JPG

Broken Arrow Icon of yesteryear.

MysteryLights.JPG

At the cabin were several issues of Blue Ridge Magazine which offered interesting stories on the Melungeons, Trilliums and the Brown Mountain Lights. These mysterious lights are seen only 5 miles from our 2014 convention at Linville Falls. For those interested i suggest that on one clear evening we divide into 2 groups. Group one will be comprised of the enthusiastic gullible and will go to one of the two public observation vantages. The second group will hike to the top of Brown Mountain and launch a flurry of Sky Lanterns. Group 1 will be responsible for recording reactions.

Citico.JPG

Looking downstream, several hundred Redhorse drifted between here and the old bridge structure. Another run is expected.

CaddisFlyer.JPG

Caddisfly? Ed seemed to think so.

FlutterFlys.JPG

Flutterflys gathered at the pee spot.

MightyTulipPoplar.JPG

Mighty Tulip Poplar, Tennessee's state tree. Below are Black, Yellow and Tulip Morels.

Dryads.JPG

Dryad's Saddles, taste like cucumber seeds raw.

BuffaloChips.JPG

Ed readying the Buffalo for the dredging, i pulled it from the chilled water, dead and glassy eyed but the gills had gone white testing our nerves and palettes.

TodaysFind.JPG

Today's find, old Black Morels along the top, Tulip Morels along the left and a couple nice Yellows on the right and 2 newbies in the center. Not enough, just a taste.

DinnerParty.JPG

The dinner before us, Ron from Dodge City, Greyscale Visionary Bob, My daughters Cyan and Cerulean, Riverslick and my sweetheart. On the evening's menu were tasty battered Buffalo Chips, butter simmered Morels of 3 species, Salad with fresh Ramps and Redbuds, Dryad's Saddle sautaeed with onions and peanut oil, Ed Caught grilled Alaskan Salmon, and Jalapeno Ramped Hushpuppies. Served with NC's Cheerwine, Muscadine Wine, Shocktop Lemon Brew and Sassyfrass Tea. All finished with Russell Stover's Bloopers. A wonderful day.

Bag.JPG

Fresh finds on the picnic drive home.

The way home we followed Citico Creek upstream, a long, scenic and winding drive that peaks and descends into the Tellico River watershed. Lots of wonderful fish reside in these 2 systems, Tangerines, Greenfins, Longnose Dace in the higher portions, too many to name. I lead snorkeling trips for the Cherokee National Forest a few miles upstream of the Broken Arrow. Bryce and Michael had considered joining us for the Buffalo Run 2014, the cabin would make a wonderful NANFA site to explore the waters from anytime. Both rivers run clear and offer many unique opportunities. 4 or 6 Fishy NANFans could be accommodated if elbows and gear were minimized. This is snorkel water and summer is a fine time to be in the cool mountain water! A trip could be organized if enough interest was expressed.

Here is a short Knoxville news video on the Buffalo Run which is narrated by my snorkel boss. The UW video was shot by JR of CFI.

http://www.knoxnews....il/buffalo-run/

For something silly and shamefully fat, but determined to forage for Buffalo...

#2 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

That's my kind of vacation! The morels I can take or leave ( I used to collect them to sell) but I doubt I'd have left there hungry!

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

I have been in the water on some days when I thought I might freeze into a solid Michael-sicle... and the Snorkelmeister never made noises like that... I do not want to even think about how cold the water was that caused that response from the the great-submersed-one.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

How can anyone leave a morel! I just sold 2 pounds for 100 bucks, enough to fill a 12 beer can carton. They will be used to feed local PBSers.
I just shared a mega plate of the rough ones. Mighty tasty as was the dead buffalo believe it or not.
:)
That water was dang cold, 50ish perhaps. I could not catch my breath for a good bit. My skin was burning afterwards but i warmed up quick in the low sun. We all had great fun. Helping at Rienhardt and then the Citico trip was a great way to kick off the season.
Bryce showed up Thursday but we missed connecting. He has some pictures to share of Buffalo egg fields.

#5 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:36 AM

I think the insect is a stonefly, caddisflies look more moth like. I never dare tough them as they have nasty jaws. (though the similar looking dobsonflies have worse jaws, they're hellgrammites with wings).

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

You forget "Hickory Chicken" if you're from Kentucky for the Morel

#7 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

I made it to Citico Creek on Thursday, the 17th, unfortunately I missed both the Buffalo and Casper. The visibility was execptional for Citico, 30-40 feet, but it was a cool 50-55. Nice video Casper, but I needed more than bioprene to stay warm. Here are a few images from Citico Creek.

buffeggs.jpg
Buffalo eggs are about 2mm and cover the stream bed.

rockbass.jpg
Rock Bass sheltering from the current behind a ...well, you know.

treble.jpg
treble2.jpg
2/0 treble snagging hooks are all over the place. I was constantly watching where I put my hands.

daloge.jpg
Da Lo Ge, swam up right next to me, easiest image of the day.

#8 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

http://www.knoxnews....il/buffalo-run/

Proper link to the Buffalo Run on Citico.

Saturday there were reports of a Buffalo Run on South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

NOTE: A portion of this thread was moved and a couple of things deleted. Most of the removed portion is now in the "Snorkeling" sub-forum
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users