anyone up for NH collecting on memorial day weekend.

28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:31 AM

I know this is almost a full month early to ask. But May to early June is a busy time. Between a trip to Texas (sadly my brother says no time for fishing is in our schedule for it), a deep sea fishing trip with a friend if everything pans out right, an odd work schedule (shutting down on a week meaning we work a weekend to make up for it), and the NANFA convention in June I am fairly busy.

A couple people asked me about sampling this spring/summer. But it looks like I will not be that free until memorial day (ok, possiblly free the weekend of the tenth too, but that is part of a four day weekend from the shut down and I am planning my friends fishing trip for then.)

We could try a few spots like Trask Stream (for redbelly dace, creek chub, and blacknose dace), Cold River (for a rich variety), or hit the Ashuelot for darters. Maybe all three if I can get up early enough.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

If I were only closer Josh. See you at the convention though.

#3 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

I have absolutely no idea right now because I'm in the middle of finals and preparing for my first year project presentation next week.

However, I do know that I would love to explore what sorts of fish there are - but especially swamp darter, banded killifish, and banded sunfish, as well as some sort of sucker that would be happy in a ~1600 gal backyard pond and perhaps some central mudminnows. I have no idea what you do or do not know about finding any of these, mind you. ;)

Dace and shiners are also interesting to me. I guess the answer is 'probably'! :)

I will be able to free up my quarantine tank a week from this coming Tuesday when I will have had my (now 7) rosy red minnows for three weeks (two have died of cotton fungus and one of I'm not sure what because I found it out of the water in an unused outake for an air bubbler that is currently not in use because my HOB is quieter). I'll probably start seeing what I can find in my neck of the woods sometime after that.

#4 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

However, I do know that I would love to explore what sorts of fish there are - but especially swamp darter, banded killifish, and banded sunfish, as well as some sort of sucker that would be happy in a ~1600 gal backyard pond and perhaps some central mudminnows.

All the species you mentioned except the mud minnows are common and easy to find close to Waltham. Mudminnows exist in Ma but are not native or common. PM if you want info on those common Ma species.

#5 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

All the species you mentioned except the mud minnows are common and easy to find close to Waltham. Mudminnows exist in Ma but are not native or common. PM if you want info on those common Ma species.

I'd love to PM you, but... "The member mikez cannot receive any new messages"

What I was going to say:

"Hi! I'm not looking for another couple weeks, but hints for where to look for swamp darters, banded killifish, banded sunfish, and a relatively small type of sucker would be fabulous!

Somehow I thought there were central mudminnows in our area, but perhaps I was looking at a map which was zoomed too far out to be sure. :)"

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Oh sorry, I guess I gotta figure out how to get rid of old messages.

There are mudminnows in Ma, but they are introduced. There could be some close to metro-west, but the ones I know come from central and western Ma. Because they are an introduced fish that survives our climate, there could very well be undiscovered populations near the city. Seems likely in fact.

Edited by mikez, 26 April 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#7 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:43 AM

I have absolutely no idea right now because I'm in the middle of finals and preparing for my first year project presentation next week.

However, I do know that I would love to explore what sorts of fish there are - but especially swamp darter, banded killifish, and banded sunfish, as well as some sort of sucker that would be happy in a ~1600 gal backyard pond and perhaps some central mudminnows. I have no idea what you do or do not know about finding any of these, mind you. ;)

Dace and shiners are also interesting to me. I guess the answer is 'probably'! :)

Of the species you mentioned I have found a good spot for swamp darters but do not know where to find the coastal plain species well. I have yet to find a good spot for banded sunnies or banded killifish, and finding them is hit or miss for me.

#8 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Oh sorry, I guess I gotta figure out how to get rid of old messages.

There are mudminnows in Ma, but they are introduced. There could be some close to metro-west, but the ones I know come from central and western Ma. Because they are an introduced fish that survives our climate, there could very well be undiscovered populations near the city. Seems likely in fact.

Ah, understood.

Let me know when you can get PMs, so I can know where to look for the fish you do know where to find? :) (or I could tell you my email, I suppose)

#9 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Of the species you mentioned I have found a good spot for swamp darters but do not know where to find the coastal plain species well. I have yet to find a good spot for banded sunnies or banded killifish, and finding them is hit or miss for me.

Hmm, alright. Perhaps for now I will focus closer to home, then, and see what I can find. :)

#10 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hmm, alright. Perhaps for now I will focus closer to home, then, and see what I can find. :)

I await to see what you discover. Maybe you can solve the mystery of possible logperch in mass (assuming some survived the die off, and they were not misidentified tesselates) http://tispaquin.blo...aston-mass.html

I am waiting for the water levels to drop, I have a few things I want to do when it does.

What things?

1. Solve the mystery of the riffle darters. My early mistake in seeking darters early on was following advice and trying riffles and smaller upland streams. New england has two types of darters, one what likes slow water, the other still. They almost never are in riffles.... ALMOST. Twice I found an abundance of tesselates in riffles, early in the year. Do tesselates move into riffles in the early spring or is this odd occurance a coincidence? More sampling is needed to see. Observations would be good to find the why of it... but the water is a bit cold to dive in then and brownish darters are hard to see under water.

2. Find the missing local Bandeds. Banded sunfish are mostly in the Merrimack and coastal drainages, But one fairly close pond (pealy pond in Rindge) in the Connecticut drainage is supposed to have them. I sampled their twice and never found them. But never sampled that long or thoroughly. And another two towns away in the next county and drainage (merrimack) is supposed to have them but I cannot find the pond name. Finding the local bandeds or at least what happened to them would be nice.

3. Photograph breeding color fallfish, maybe find/observe a nest.I seen and caught MANY MANY fallfish over the years, but only seen one in breeding color and never photographed one. Also I never seen a chub nest (Mike tried pointing them out in Virgina, I could never tell the difference between them and the gravel substrate). Finding one would also be nice.

4. Continue to try and find all the NH species and good spots for them. At first I wanted this for my own experience and knowledge to help others. Now I want to make a bid for a convention up north some day, but need to find where all the good fish are first.

Oh, cool but unrelated news. On facebook fish nerds mentioned NANFA and NANFA replied. Fish geekdom is becoming more united than ever. :)

#11 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

I hope I can find some time to join you on some of your planned endevours. Will be tied up through the NANFA convention but later perhaps. Had a great time on our brackish trip.

#12 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

Well, I've determined that I can't find any fish near shore in a few places that I tried earlier today; I suspect it's too early and they are cold and thus avoiding easy capture (I know my own pond fish have tended to stay deeper when it was cold, so).

Definitely no problem finding damselfly larvae, though! ;)

Mind you, I don't know if my attempted locations are right, but I would have thought so since I definitely tended to see what I used to believe were minnows in those kinds of places while growing up!

#13 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

I hope I can find some time to join you on some of your planned endevours. Will be tied up through the NANFA convention but later perhaps. Had a great time on our brackish trip.

I am glad you had a good time. I look forward to you helping me with it.

#14 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

Glad NH weather is beginning to allow for collecting/sampling endeavors!

Would be interested to see your fallfish pictures. I haven't especially tried to find pictures of them, but the ones I've seen make them look like rather fearsome...

Would like to hear your findings on fish locations and whether or not you think they move over the winter. I've been wondering the same thing about some of my SC fish.

It's been twenty plus years since I've been in Live Free or Die country, but I think it would have convention potential. Mt. Monadnock and Lake Winnipesaukee are still fresh in my mind all these years later.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#15 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

OK, try to help a little...

Banded killifish in eastern/central Ma - check the glacial kettle ponds. Walden Pond in concord is most famous but near by Whites pond also in Concord is also great. Mirror lake in Devens is another great example. These are clear, cool deep ponds with very little weeds or structure close to shore. Generally much better for trout fishing than dip netting but banded killies are only found in such around here. Go right to the swimming beaches. They are the schools of "minnows" you can see plain as day in the clear water 3 inches deep. They hate to go where it's more than a foot deep and you can chase the schools up and down the beach and they will never go deep to escape. They can be super easy to collect so watch out for the bloodlust and don't over do it. You could take a whole school in one sweep of a seine. They're not over hardy so don't crowd them.

Banded sunfish are really very common all over eastern and central Ma. I haven't sampled NH but have found banded sunnies in west townsand and Pepperal in swamps linked to the Squanacook river right on the NH border. Kinda hard to explain how to find them. To me it seems you find a swamp sweep a dip net in the dead leaves and new weeds and count your sunnies. No matter where you go. Having tried now for years to help others do it, I come to realize it's so easy for everyone. Not sure why. I do know they are not where everything else is. You wade out to your kness and extend your net arms length into the pond and all the sunnies are behind you huddled under the bank, behind a rock or next to a sunken log.

I will name Mill pond in Acton as the source of most of the banded sunnies I ever collected back when I bred them and/or traded them. At one time, Mill pond sunnies or offspring were shipped to 4 or 5 states. Some may still be kicking around.

Any swamp or beaver pond linked to the Nashua, Concord, Sudbury or Assabet [to name a few] will have them. Scoop the muck next to shore, along rocks and logs. Scoop right up onto shore, don't neglect 3 inch deep water. Check the muck carefully. Lot's of times, the first onse you find are the tiny last year's fish smaller than a dime.

#16 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Thank you so much, mikez!

Later this week, I shall see how it goes. :)

#17 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

FirstChAos: You mentioned (northern) redbelly dace, and those are one of the other fish I'd like to try to get (and I cannot in MA, as they are on the 'no really, put that back RIGHT NOW' list).

#18 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:41 PM

mikez: banded killis obtained, thank you! Not the banded sunnies, though; I suspect I need to wait for a real dipnet for that, as I can't actually pick up all that much in a go, probably meaning that the fish are in the leaves that I _don't_ pick up.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

FirstChAos: You mentioned (northern) redbelly dace, and those are one of the other fish I'd like to try to get (and I cannot in MA, as they are on the 'no really, put that back RIGHT NOW' list).

Just a heads up, you might want to check state laws. Often if a fish is illegal to collect in your state, it is also illegal to possess. I bet you can get someone around here to mail you some southern redbelly dace pretty easily though. In many places they are common as dirt. I think plenty of mountain redbelly dace will be caught at the convention, might be able to get some from someone that attends, unless you plan on attending, then you can get your own.

#20 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Skipjack: noted! I've opened a link to the phone number to call tomorrow.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users