Photo

Lepomis microlophus?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Is that who this little feller is? Turned up in a headwater of an unnamed(?) stream in Greenwood County, SC.

Long, pointy pec; coloration, ear "dot", and range are guiding my guess. But little sunnies kill me and I'm hoping I got it right because they'd be a new lifer for me, surprisingly enough...

Attached File  DSCF4251.JPG   73.26KB   2 downloads
Attached File  DSCF4255.JPG   73.01KB   3 downloads

At least I figured out these L. auritus out by myself...

Attached File  DSCF4248.JPG   85.12KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSCF4270.JPG   110.75KB   0 downloads

And, just to share my excitement, I stumbled onto a new spot just loaded with one of my faves, Etheostoma collis. Almost couldn't swing a net and NOT get one!

Attached File  DSCF4239.JPG   63.16KB   1 downloads
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

I think you have it right Matt. That head shape, very angular, looks like a redear to me. But I suck at small sunfish.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

I suck at this game unless its a chub... uh green sunfish... jar of almonds... 42...

But seriously, I would agree with you its a redear... I mean they cannot all be redbreast... even if they mostly are...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:35 PM

Why it's a hybrid of course! If not a hybrid, I'm agreeing with Michael on the 42 ID. The answer is always 42, isn't it?

If I must make a serious ID, I'd agree redear.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:55 PM

Why it's a hybrid of course! If not a hybrid, I'm agreeing with Michael on the 42 ID. The answer is always 42, isn't it?

If I must make a serious ID, I'd agree redear.

Shazbot, I never even considered the hybrid possibility. Now that you bring it up, it might be a Jar of 42 almonds 'brid...
Matt Knepley

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

I am going to disagree. Red ears don't typically show that much pattern on the flanks. There also appears to be some blue in front of the eye. I am pretty sure that's a pumpkinseed.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:33 PM

I would trust Dustin on this more than I.

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Dustin has it right in my opinion too. The blue lines in front of the eye are a good catch, and the body pattern also looks more like a pumpkinseed sunfish to me.

#9 Guest_sbtgrfan_*

Guest_sbtgrfan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:51 AM

I am going to disagree. Red ears don't typically show that much pattern on the flanks. There also appears to be some blue in front of the eye. I am pretty sure that's a pumpkinseed.

The master has spoken and I have once again failed as a student in young sunfish ID. In my defense, we have not come across enough pumpkinseeds and redears for me to learn properly!

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

By the way, I found the stream's name; Sixmile Creek.

Matt Knepley

#11 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

The master has spoken and I have once again failed as a student in young sunfish ID. In my defense, we have not come across enough pumpkinseeds and redears for me to learn properly!

Don't feel bad, Stephen. I, too, am just a grasshopper waiting for the day I snag my first fly with chopsticks!

Thanks for the help, all!
Matt Knepley

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

Jar of almonds was close to pumpkinseed!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

It makes sense. I associate redears more with reservoirs than streams. I should have thought horses not zebras. Oh, and did I mention that I suck with small Lepomis.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users