Left Coast minnow challenge

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rootsman_*

Guest_rootsman_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

These shots were taken in Wasson Creek, a mountain stream in the southern Coast Range of Oregon. Can anyone tell me what we're looking at here?

The only Oregon minnows that look similar are lake chubs, so they're my leading contender by default. And while trout would certainly fit the habitat, these really don't look like any fingerlings I've seen. The black stripe is also much more pronounced than I've seen on local speckled or longnose dace.

The photos weren't taken by me and I've cropped them to focus on the fish, sorry about the quality. They come from a hiking website and the fish were included incidentally.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Bluntnose Minnow?

Nice waterfall

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

Just because they are the default minnow species in Ky. doesn't make it so in Oregon Josh. Stripe is too distinct for bluntnose isn't it? They are not trout. Lake chub looks like a pretty good guess. I have no experience with western minnows, so your guess is better than mine.

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

I also know nothing about western minnows, but do any of your western suckers have a lateral stripe as juveniles? The head-on fish in the 1st pic reminds me of Erimyzon juvies here in NC.

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Speckled dace. Snout doesn't look long enough for Umpqua to me and I don't remember them having that distinct of a stripe, but it's been years since I've seen one and I'm working from memory here.

#6 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Just because they are the default minnow species in Ky. doesn't make it so in Oregon Josh. Stripe is too distinct for bluntnose isn't it? They are not trout. Lake chub looks like a pretty good guess. I have no experience with western minnows, so your guess is better than mine.

Default minnow? Yeah, probably. I was just taking a guess.

#7 Guest_Owain4_*

Guest_Owain4_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

Reminds me of a Blacknose Dace

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users