striped shiner care?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I was wondering is they could live with sunfish like a longear in a 180 gallon, or live with fathead minnows in a 20 gallon. Also, what size tank do they need? How big do they get? do they school?

Thanks for any awnsers.

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

They are a rather large species, I have seen them reach sizes upwards of 6-7 inches and I hear they get even larger. The one time I kept any of them I had three in a 55 gallon along with various other shiners/darters. Temperamentally? I found them no more aggressive than any other large shiner.

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Stripeds need room to move. They usually move back and forth in the mid water column but make runs at anything on the surface. When we've had them they'll eat about anything you might think they'll eat. Adult longears would be OK with them I'd guess, or any other sunfish about as big as your hand. I've always thought they were an underappreciated species, but they do need room.

#4 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

A good common species to learn by. Check out some breeding male photos. Stunning.

#5 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:43 AM

what size should I get since I have a ~5in bullhead catfish and 3 4-6in coppernose bluegills?

#6 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think your Bullhead will get bigger, especially with plenty of Stripped Shiners, aka food, swimming around.

#7 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

Are there any minnows that can be with a brown bullhead?

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Large or full grown Striped shiners should be ok with smaller bullheads and certainly with sunfish. The aggression associated with larger Luxilus species is because of their size and the fact that smaller fish tend to be intimidated by it. They will slurp up small shiners and possibly darters that can fit in their mouth, but I wouldn't categorize them as heavy fish-eaters. A 180gal tank is plenty big for a group of Striped shiners and some sunfish. I also agree that they are an under appreciated species.
Nick L.

#9 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

would a fallfish be a better species with the bullhead? how many inches should the striped shiner be if I got some? I would want a fallfish more, but I can not find any for sale... striped shiners are still one of my favorite minnows though.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Leo, the rules for native fish do not stray far from the rules of tropical fish. The big rule would be NO HEATER. Beyond that very much is the same. As for predatory fish, even small ones, if it fits in their mouth, they will eat it. Beyond that it is mostly common sense. Can you keep a 6 inch bullhead with some bluntnose minnows? Sure, as long as you do not value those minnows too much. If it will fit in its mouth, it will eventually be eaten. A bullhead is going to seriously limit what you can keep with it, other than other large fish, and temporary prey items. This is one of the reasons that most seasoned native fish keepers are more interested in minnows, shiners, and darters. You can have a very diverse tank with smallish fish. Once you go bigger, your choices narrow down very quickly.

#11 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

I will assume that that is a no for fallfish... I really like large fish. I just wish there was a large minnow that could be with a bullhead...

Edited by Leo1234, 22 May 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

I don't want to encourage you to go down the "big fish" road, but a very large fallfish would likely be fine with your bullhead. Really none of my business, keep what you want. Don't expect that most people here will recommend keeping big native fish. Many started in the same place you are, but quickly got bored and moved to the cool fish.

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

I will assume that that is a no for fallfish... I really like large fish. I just wish there was a large minnow that could be with a bullhead...

I did have some extended period of luck with a tank that had nothing in it except three 5 inch creek chubs and a single 5 inch bullhead. The creek chubs were pretty much too large to eat and the bull head seemed to leave them alone of at least the first nine months (this was in a tank in a colleagues office that I helped him set up... after the nine months, I switched jobs so I cant report on it for longer than that). Large creek chubs can be very pretty and also have very large mouths so I normally don't recommend them in any shiner/darter tanks... but just a small group with a bullhead was really qite nice.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

That is a decent Idea Michael. I have no experience with fallfish. They are certainly large enough, but are they as predatory as creek chubs?

Big creek chubs might work out well, they would eat essentially the same food as bullheads. Throw in some smallish bluntnose minnows, and you would keep everyone happy, except the bluntnose themselves.

#15 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

My experience with Fallfish are that they are just as predatory as Creek chubs. And the fact that they get much larger puts more species on the 'prey' list. Creek chubs were a great suggestion.

If you really are interested in trying out some larger fish since you have a 180 to fill...why not try some Yellow perch?
Nick L.

#16 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

yellow perch are Illegal in California. I guess I will try to get some 5-6in creek chubs then. would they grow at the same rate as a bullhead If they are both in 70 degree water and get a lot of food?

I would go with fallfish, but I can not seem to find any for sale online.

#17 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Fallfish aren't aquacultured as much (if at all) like their smaller brethren are. So you'd have to keep your eyes open for one to pop up somewhere.

If you start off with smaller bullheads and Creek chubs, in the 3-4 inch range, they would grow at about the same rate with the chubs a little faster IMO. But I wouldn't try to speed up or maximize their grown because the chubs will stop growing at 6-8" and your bullheads won't. One day you could be chub-less. Some of the other Cyprinids can get a solid 4+" and wouldn't be catfish food for a long while if you started off with smaller cats. Golden shiners get even bigger and would be a safe bet.
Nick L.

#18 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

how big do the golden shiners have to be so they are able to deal with the bullhead and the sunfish (especially a longear)? Also, do you have any recommendations for places/people that can get me a fallfish? Also where is a good place to get golden shiners that will get big?

Edited by Leo1234, 24 May 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#19 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

If your Golden shiner is the same size as your sunfish and/or catfish, it will not get eaten. (Although being picked on/bullied is a different story). It's pretty self-explanatory on whether or not fish-A will be able to eat fish-B. Just use your best judgement sprinkled with a little common sense. I cannot help you with vendors for Fallfish or Golden shiners. I collect all of my fish.

I don't understand your last question. Any Golden shiner in a 180 will be able to reach its full potential in size. There aren't 'dwarf varieties' that stay small. Check bait shops. Golden shiners are frequently sold there and are usually 2-3".
Nick L.

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

The good reason to have creek chubs is that you can feed them the same diet as the bullhead. Both could easily eat feeder fish, or both could easily be pellet trained. Both could take frozen shrimp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users