Photo

Convention Auction Question

11 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Pardon a noob question here, but are there any particular types of fishes that are popular at the auction I'd be likely to have here in western/Piedmont/Savannah and Santee drainage SC? That won't already be readily found in the Catawba drainage at the convention? Water levels have dropped quite a bit here, but not so much or so long that I think the fish are likely to be overly-stressed.

Maybe Etheostoma collis, the Carolina darter? Not flashy, but have a very interesting (to me, anyway) pattern. Or perhaps Etheostoma hopkinsi,if I can find any with colors to do them justice? Anything else? What is the "bring your stock to the auction" protocol? I don't mind trying to contribute, but I don't want to wind up with fish noone else wanted, either. Certainly not fair to put the fish through it, as far as that goes, if they're just going to have to ride back to the Palmetto State a few days later.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:14 AM

The one NANFA convention auction I saw only had a few fish in it, it mainly had books, but plenty of other odds and ends as well. I remember northern redbelly dace being in it, I think one or two other fish but forgot which ones.

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

The one NANFA convention auction I saw only had a few fish in it, it mainly had books, but plenty of other odds and ends as well. I remember northern redbelly dace being in it, I think one or two other fish but forgot which ones.

Good to know. I had just always assumed they were "fish foremost" in content.
Matt Knepley

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

They are not fish foremost, but there were a lot of fish at the Ky convention, and they all sold. Phil pretty much makes sure everything goes. I think you should bring some fish, I am confident you won't be taking them home.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

It's a fish convention. The more fish, the better. :)

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

Matt K., I would think you would have to beat folks away with a stick if you brought a bunch of Christmas darters---regardless that the males may not be in prime breeding color. It's the fact the people [from different drainages] don't have easy access to fish outside of their own drainage and are interested in diversifying their collections.

Years back when I used to be better about attending local fish club meetings, a few people would bring juveniles/fry of the same species to EVERY auction. They would all be purchased. People cannot not buy fish. (<-- does that make sense?)
Nick L.

#7 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

I'd suggest bringing fish that do NOT naturally occur in NC, like Christmas and Savannah darters, bandfin shiner, etc. Some of your common SC fish are protected species in NC and we dont want those in the auction: E. collis, N. lutipinnis, H. rubrifrons. Our NC scientific collecting permits do not allow us to sell wild caught fish. If you bring anything native to NC (including Heterandria and bluefin killie) it should be captive-raised. Those are my opinions anyway; Fritz may have others.

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the input, all. Since I have no captive raised natives, I guess I won't be bringing anything, just to be on the safe side.
Matt Knepley

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

I dont think there's any problem with bringing wild species not native in NC, as long as it's legal to collect and sell them in the state of origin and they're not a "prohibited" species in NC (see NC-WRC non game regs): http://www.ncwildlif..._Fish_Limit.pdf

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

I am not even sure you are selling them. You are donating them to a nonprofit. Not sure where the rules go from there. That would be on NANFA. If the auction specifies that people donate money to NANFA, and win a prize, which happens to be a bag of donated fish, it would seem legal.

#11 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:29 AM

I dont think there's any problem with bringing wild species not native in NC, as long as it's legal to collect and sell them in the state of origin and they're not a "prohibited" species in NC (see NC-WRC non game regs): http://www.ncwildlif..._Fish_Limit.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I just wasn't properly processing what you were saying. Looks like I might be bring fish after all...
Matt Knepley

#12 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

christmas darters, lowland shiners, Savannah darters, speckled madtom,

Since they are donated to NANFA, a nonproftt, I see no issue but I agree with Gerald, just to be on the safe side don't bring fish that are native in NC. In my opinion I think bluefin killifish would be OK from FL since the only known location in NC is considered to be introduced and may not even still exist.

If any question, email me

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users