new cavefish described from Indiana

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kalawatseti_*

Guest_kalawatseti_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Introducing the Hoosier Cavefish, Amblyops hoosieri.

Abstract:
We describe a new species of amblyopsid cavefish (Percopsiformes: Amblyopsidae) in the genus Amblyopsis
from subterranean habitats of southern Indiana, USA. The Hoosier Cavefish, Amblyopsis hoosieri sp. n.,
is distinguished from A. spelaea, its only congener, based on genetic, geographic, and morphological evidence.
Several morphological features distinguish the new species, including a much plumper, Bibendumlike
wrinkled body with rounded fins, and the absence of a premature stop codon in the gene rhodopsin.
This is the first new cavefish species described from the United States in 40 years and exemplifies how
molecular data can alert us to the presence of otherwise cryptic biodiversity.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:02 PM

I would guess there are other cryptic species of cavefish too. And I'm glad they didn't erect a new genus for this species, that's been a peculiar practice with cavefishes.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

I still find it hard to swallow that cavefish diversity developed after the first cavefish diverged from spring cavefish. They also need to include swampfish and pirate perch in their genetic analysis. Something interesting might pop out and grab us then.

It might even help explain the propensity for morphological oriented guys to put them into separate genera.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

Well is someone going to use spring cavefish and pirate perch next go or is that a too direct route to the most important questions in the Universe?

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

You offer much insight, grasshopper.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users