Fine white mesh nets

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

Does anyone know a source for the very fine mesh nets? I used to have several that I used to harvest daphnia out of my vats over the years but they are all worn out and I can't find a replacement.

The net I have now has a 18 inch handle and the net is 4" by 6" , I've had them as big as 12" by 6"

Let me know if you know where to buy them..

#2 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

There is a mesh sold in fabric stores marketed for making prom dresses, but I use it for making my egg tumblers.

For getting super small things, I use a 'brine shrimp net' I bought on ebay for $3. It works great for scooping fry from one tank to another. A stretched out nylon sock would probably work just as well.

#3 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

There is a mesh sold in fabric stores marketed for making prom dresses, but I use it for making my egg tumblers.

For getting super small things, I use a 'brine shrimp net' I bought on ebay for $3. It works great for scooping fry from one tank to another. A stretched out nylon sock would probably work just as well.

A brine shrimp net is far too small to use in 360 gallon vat, I need at least a 4x6 inch net...

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

Can you get the daphnia to concentrate with either a light source or supplemental aeration? I used to use a much larger tank for culturing daphnia and they concentrated along on side of tank making for easy and rapid harvest using one of those little brine shrimp nets. I also preferentially harvested smaller daphnia so pulled a courser meshed net in front of the brine shrimp net. First prevented bigger daphnia from entering second net. Bigger net in front also seemed to funnel more critters into brine shrimp net.

#5 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Can you get the daphnia to concentrate with either a light source or supplemental aeration? I used to use a much larger tank for culturing daphnia and they concentrated along on side of tank making for easy and rapid harvest using one of those little brine shrimp nets. I also preferentially harvested smaller daphnia so pulled a courser meshed net in front of the brine shrimp net. First prevented bigger daphnia from entering second net. Bigger net in front also seemed to funnel more critters into brine shrimp net.

I've tried to use the small brine shrimp nets, they simply do not catch enough to make it practical. I am culturing Daphnia magna.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:12 PM

I cultured Daphnia magna in a 1200-gallon creamery tank and harvested them as described. The animals concentrated in parts of the tank very consistently making harvest fast and easy. The culture was intensive requiring a lot of aeration to keep oxygen levels up. Yield was close to a cup per day so not small potatoes and it had to be consistent because they were used to keep study fish in continuous forage,

This is a technique rather than equipment challenge.

#7 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Could you do this, but with a nylon sock?

Posted Image
http://arofanatics.c...t=333825&page=2

I bet if you sewed or hot glue-gunned nylon to a PVC frame like that and stuck it on a stick, you could make your own net. I bought a hot glue-gun recently and now I've been seeing purposes for it everywhere. PVC pipe is $5 for 10 feet and the joints are $0.27 each at Home Depot. The hot glue-gun was $4 and the glue $6. Or a needle is $1 at the dollar store and fishing line is $6 for a reel, to use as thread.

#8 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

NITEX SHEET!

I used that to harvest Ceriodaphnia sp. You could also use a miniature seine made of nylon screen like used in a window. Pull it through water column and selectively harvest larger individuals. Then wash catch off into a collection vessel using a water squirt bottle.

#9 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

I found a square black net that can pick up the adults fairly easily, it's awkward because the daphnia concentrate in the pointed bottom ends, I feed a lot of daphnia everyday, I like fat fish, lol

#10 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

wally world sells a black fabric in their fabric section that works pretty well as a daphnia net. i have used it to strain adult Daphnia ambigua, so it should work with whatever daphnia you have.

i think the fabric is normally used to make veils and such. either way, its cheap. it would make a decent butterfly net, now that i think about it...

#11 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

There used to be a big company that sold aquaculture supplies, I used to get catalogs from them regular when i was selling fish. I can't remember their name, anyone have a clue?

#12 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Aquatic Ecosystems?

#13 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Aquatic Ecosystems?

That's it!

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

Aquatic Ecosystems was bought out by Pentair Aquatic Ecosystems Systems.

#15 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Aquatic Ecosystems was bought out by Pentair Aquatic Ecosystems Systems.

Yeah and they don't carry the same stuff or i can't find it listed... It would appear they streamlined the product line a bit...

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

I used the flashlight harvest method very often. I had daphnia in 6 foot kiddie pools. I would go out at night with a 3x5 inch net. wait for them to congregate by the light, which I shined in through the side of the pool, and with a couple of scoops, I had between a quarter and a half a cup. I agree that using a good technique can make up for poor tools. Plus it is a lot of fun watching the critters chase the beam of light.

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Could you do this, but with a nylon sock?

That is just silly.

#18 Guest_Auban_*

Guest_Auban_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

That is just silly.

i dont know about that. id be willing to try it.

#19 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

The fabric you guys are talking about is called tulle, or tulle mesh. It is not very strong. If making your own, would "no see um" netting work in terms of mesh size? It is stronger than tulle by a good bit.

I know Nitex netting (bolting cloth) is usually used in plankton nets, but don't know if you can get it in small amounts.

#20 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

The fabric you guys are talking about is called tulle, or tulle mesh. It is not very strong. If making your own, would "no see um" netting work in terms of mesh size? It is stronger than tulle by a good bit.

I know Nitex netting (bolting cloth) is usually used in plankton nets, but don't know if you can get it in small amounts.

I made a large plankton net out of shear curtains and a mason jar, worked really well for many years. I may just break down and make a new net...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users