odd schooling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

I have two green sunfish in a large tank. The sunfish are about 2 in and my molly always fallow them around. Does anyone know what this means or has had this experiance.

#2 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Mollies are naturally social fish, and usually loosely shoal with other mollies or livebearers. He/she is probably just curious about your sunfish, and this type of behavior is especially common if it is the only molly in the tank. Unfortunately it will only end bad, and very quickly too. Other than the aggression issues that come with most sunfish, your greens will also outgrow the molly very soon, and eat it. Greens have VERY large mouths so they'll do it quicker than you think. Also, just two sunfish in a tank almost never works, they will soon start attacking each other. My green and pumpkinseed stopped getting along at 2 inches so maybe you have some placid greens or they'll start soon.

#3 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

I will be moving them at three inches into my turtle tank with another green will that be better.

#4 Guest_Erica Lyons_*

Guest_Erica Lyons_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

I will be moving them at three inches into my turtle tank with another green will that be better.

Don't you have a picture of a turtle eating a sunfish as your profile pic? That basically sums up my opinion of what happens to fish kept with turtles.

#5 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Not sure on keeping fish with turtles, but just talking about sunfish alone it is usually recommended to keep them either solo or in groups of 5 or more. You can try but be prepared for a Plan B.

#6 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

Alright plan be will be to cut them up for the turtle.

#7 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Alright plan be will be to cut them up for the turtle.

I'd give it a try first before you do that haha. Greens are really pretty and entertaining fish, so it's at least worth a try.

Edited by juhason, 05 June 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#8 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

I will let you know when I try in two months.

#9 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

I will let you know when I try in two months.

Alright sound good :laugh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users