New 55 Gallon!

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

I finally got a "large" aquarium! Woohoo!
I need some stocking help :)
I already have a 3 inch pumpkinseed which will probably go in there. I am thinking of adding at least one more but really want to have 3 pumpkinseeds (I really love them).
Other potential choices I would like is a central longear, maybe some dollars, and maybe a green.
Also would I be able to add any types of shiners or non-sunfish tankmates?
I'm pretty open to my stock list, but it must include pumpkinseeds.

#2 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

I think it would lead to fighting with more than one sunfish and less than 5. I would get larger chubs and madtoms.

#3 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think it would lead to fighting with more than one sunfish and less than 5. I would get larger chubs and madtoms.

Yeah I knew that I would need at least 5, I was just saying I would preferably like 2-3 pumpkinseeds to be within the list. I knew about chubs but was hoping maybe there were some larger shiners? I'll look into the madtoms thank you. :)

#4 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

You could try 2 pseeds. I heard that they are a little less aggressive. You would need a lot of structure. But I think a community tank is best.

#5 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

You could try 2 pseeds. I heard that they are a little less aggressive. You would need a lot of structure. But I think a community tank is best.

My p-seed was more aggressive than my green that I had (temporarily). So you're saying 2 p-seeds and that's it? :(

#6 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

No I take that back one would kill the other. But that's my opinion.

#7 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

No I take that back one would kill the other. But that's my opinion.

But you don't think I could get 5 or 6 sunfish in there?

#8 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

You would need a large filter to get away with five. You would have to cycle it with one and start with smaller ones.

#9 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

You would need a large filter to get away with five. You would have to cycle it with one and start with smaller ones.

I have two filters rated for about 70 gallons I could use both. And my current p-seed is small, plus I prefer catching small ones so I can raise them on a high-quality diet. Or I can order them small. Sorry for all the questions I just REALLY want a sunfish community.

Edited by juhason, 11 June 2014 - 05:01 PM.

#10 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I think it would work with driftwood and lots of plants. Are you doing a fishless cycle or with fish. Both filters should be good. Have fun and post pics.

#11 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

I think it would work with driftwood and lots of plants. Are you doing a fishless cycle or with fish. Both filters should be good. Have fun and post pics.

I'll probably do a fishless cycle. Of course I'll post pics once I get it running!

#12 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

How do you do your fishless cycle. I pour ammonia in the tank and wait till it goes to 0 ppm.

#13 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

How do you do your fishless cycle. I pour ammonia in the tank and wait till it goes to 0 ppm.

I do that but once my ammonia goes to 0 I start testing nitrites (while still adding small amount of ammonia for the bacteria.) Then once both of those are 0 I do a large water change and add my fish.

#14 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Ok cool. How do you catch your pseeds.

Edited by Sunfish catcher 321, 11 June 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#15 Guest_juhason_*

Guest_juhason_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

Ok cool. How do you catch your pseeds.

They bite almost anything I put in the water. I usually catch them on worms. I was once netting minnows and caught about 3 or 4 pumpkinseeds who were so curious they swam right into my net. If it wasn't illegal I would've taken them, they were some of the most beautiful ones I caught. What a shame. :(

#16 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

• Guests

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:22 AM

I seine for fun because I never catch any thing I can keep.

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users