Not Native, but impressive nonetheless

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

From my pond today. The single grass carp in there. 22 pounds.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

Impressive. What's the preferred capture method and what do they taste like? I'll be seeing the friend tomorrow who now owns the pond that I used to have. There were a couple of them in the pond that were probably that size 12 years ago. He may want them out so I thought I'd ask.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

We catch them on a variety of bait. This one was on a night crawler. Catalpa worms work very well. Wax worms, and even dry flies. They taste great, but are bony and difficult to clean. There are Youtube videos on cleaning them, or if you have a grinder, they would make great fish patties. Don't make the mistake I first made, and try to filet them like you would a typical fish.

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

We use them as goats / organic aquatic pasture managers. Once they get to be > 20 lbs (only two production seasons) they are swapped out for smaller individuals. Currently we are on a pickling kick where bones are not an issue because they get soft.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

I have thought of pickling/pressure canning. I am leaving this one in the pond though. Too fun to catch.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Not so fun when you are harvesting stock animals with a seine and those big buggers flying out of water and hit you. I can attest it does hurt when one hits you square on.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

I should have put this in the invasive section in the first place, I'll move it.

#8 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Turns out the grass carp in the pond that I mentioned earlier died about 3 years after I sold the place. I believe the pond was 30-40 years old at that time so it's hard to tell how old the fish were. They were already there when I bought it in 1998.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:13 PM

Too bad you did not get to dine on them. Really one of the best fish I have eaten. Just a lot of work the way I did it. You should be able to find more. Many farm ponds have them, and the owner may be happy to have you remove them. Good luck!

#10 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

Sterile grass carp seem to the one non native fish, fishery managers are happy to stock.

#11 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Brown Trout?

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Brown Trout?

Yes, Brown and rainbow trout(not native in the east) both seem to fall into the same category, except they are stocked for sport fishing rather than vegetation control.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users