Yellow Perch Care

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Didn't get to collect yesterday since something came up in my plans. I am however going fishing at a semi local lake today and we always catch small (4-6") yellow perch in itI was wondering what kind of care they need in aquaria. If I kept any they'd be going in my 75 gallon with some giant danios, a striped raphael catfish, a cutteri cichlid pair, and a sailfin pleco after being quarantined. The tank is at 75 F and pH is 7.6 so the params are pretty similar to where I'd be getting the fish from. I need to know things such as what to feed and how many to get if I were to get any. I'm pretty sure I know what to feed, start out with frozen but I don't know how easily they'd take to something like cichlid pellets anything similar. I', not sure how many is a good number to keep them in but I can always give some to some people at my local fish club if the bioload got to be to much. What do you guys think, should I try to get some or just forget the idea?
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_AMcCaleb_*

Guest_AMcCaleb_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

I know nothing of their care, but all that I've ever heard about keeping yellow perch is that they are boring fish to watch. Apparently they just sit in one place all the time and aren't very active. Plus they get are capable of getting a little big too. But, that's just hearsay. I have no experience with perch.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Agree they are not very active and seem to like to hide in ant cover if provided. Because of thus they can be a little harder to get to eat. But starting with the smallest size you can would probably help.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Yeahson421_*

Guest_Yeahson421_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

I have kept Yellow Perch of varying sizes and can attest to the fact that you must start small. The only ones that ever did well for me were caught at 1-2". At that size, they learned to eat pellets after a few weeks in a tank with trained Pumpkinseeds. They were also far more active than the ones I caught at a larger size. For whatever reason, they were significantly less skitish once I added a ~4" Logperch. I'm not sure why, but it worled for me. All of them were eaten by a Warmout that was barely bigger than them, so I'm not sure how they act once they get upwards of 4". Although I had a fairly positive experience with them, I still wouldn't reccomend them for anyone with a tank under a 125, maybe even a 180. They used, and needed, all six feet, even at their small size.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

I picked mine up from a hatchery. They were pellet trained from the get go, and not shy at all. They were not very good at defending themselves though, so I would not house them with aggressive fish.

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Alright, I decided not to get any. I am on my way to my local lake now though from the lake that had the perch so hopefully I can catch a few nice sunfish for my 75.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Those sunfish will eat your giant danios if they can

#8 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

The Yellow Perch would be more likely to eat your other fish. The Sunfish will be more likely to bully them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users