Photo

Confusion on PA Regs

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

I know that in pa it's illegal to keep any endangered or threatened species that were caught in the state however for the longest time I thought it was legal to keep state endangered fish obtained outside of the state. Recently I've had multiple people tell me that it's illegal to keep state endangered species regardless of how they were obtained. If this is indeed true then the fish commission isn't really clear about it. I'm going to assume it is true unless someone informs me otherwise, so much for keeping longears or warmouths.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Now longears have been split, so maybe you can keep one or the other legally. Either peltastes or megalotis. Not sure which is listed in PA.

Otherwise, keeping a state endangered fish no matter where it was caught is almost always illegal. The only loophole that I can see here is if you purchase them, and have a bill of sale. However, I would not do that unless I had a written letter from one of your state wildlife officials stating that it was legal. That may be hard to obtain, and not worth the trouble.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Pa just has Lepomis megalotis as endangered and doesn't list which subspecies it is. Good thing I have a few friends in the pfbc, I'll have to see if they can give me one of those letters so I can get a Warmouth maybe.

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

It may depend on whether the wording mentions "possession" or "take" being prohibited.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

Then Peltastes is now legal for you to keep, since it is no longer a subspecies, but a full species.

#6 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Then Peltastes is now legal for you to keep, since it is no longer a subspecies, but a full species.

Great, assuming they aren't even in so then I'm guessing I could breed and sell the fry since that's something I've been meaning to try.

Edited by Everything Fish, 29 June 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

So then I was correct about not being able to keep any endangered species regardless of source correct?

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

This is correct in most states that I know of.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users