Looking For An O-Spot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Trying to find an Orangespotted Sunfish for my 30 tall to put in with a few tropicals I have in there (a blue gourami, sailfin molly, angelfish, bronze Corydoras, and asian bumblebee catfish) since the tank is looking really empty and why not have a native or two where they're compatible right :). My temp is running 76-77 F so I believe that's fine for an orangespot but please let me know if that's to warm, it's actually room temp since the heater gets unplugged for the summer. I love in the pittsburgh area and I think we have them around here but I have no idea what tributaries or drainages they're present in or how to go about catching them so if somebody could please let me know about that again I'd appreciate it. I don't believe any of the native breeders on the forum have any for sale right now so I'm trying to wild catch one. That being said is there any particular food I should start them on and work up to since the only sunfish I've kept so far is a green which was fairly easy to pellet train. Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by Everything Fish, 30 June 2014 - 08:48 PM.

Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

I would try in lakes and see if could find spawning colonies near weed beds in the shallows

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Temps are probably fine for a sunfish. Your tank does not sound bare to me.

I have know idea where to find them in your area, but I would try reservoirs. Right below the dam is often good. Just a guess. I would use a small long shanked hook with the barb smashed down. Waxworms catch sunfish.

I would also use waxworms to train it. The fish will get used to you dropping in waxworms, and will await you doing so. Then start dropping in pellets. If your other fish are pellet trained, your O-spot will catch on pretty quick.

#4 Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*

Guest_Sunfish catcher 321_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

That's the best way to learn.

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the quick responses. I know a really good spot to catch small fish (minnows, darters, small sunnies, etc) below my local dam so I'll probably try there.

#6 Guest_Gavinswildlife_*

Guest_Gavinswildlife_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

The maumee river in Ohio is supposed to be a pretty great spot. It is a very short drive from Cedar Point. Maybe your family is interested in going to the roller coasters, while you collect O-spots?

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

The maumee river in Ohio is supposed to be a pretty great spot. It is a very short drive from Cedar Point. Maybe your family is interested in going to the roller coasters, while you collect O-spots?

Are you serious? I was just diving at Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio this weekend and the Maumee river was literally 10 feet behind our campsite! I should've tried to catch one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users