Sailfin Shiner Pic

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

Two male sailfin's were displaying at each other so I snapped a quick photo of them in action:

Attached File  sailfinshiner.jpg   20.72KB   5 downloads

Rick

#2 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:32 PM

That's a great pic, are you breeding them? I recently acquired a few myself.

#3 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

I am going to try. I've just moved them to a tank by themselves and I'm feeding them heavily with frozen bloodworms and a variety of other foods to try to condition them. I really love these fish.

Rick

#4 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

That's an awesome pic! I love the way they display at each other. The way they do their fins reminds me of little sharks. Need to take my Lowland shiners out of the pond and put them in my 50gal tank.

#5 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hey Chip,

Can't brag too much about the pic, just grabbed the point-and-shoot digicam and there it was. I can't say enough about these shiners. They just have a lot of good qualities. I got these about a year ago from Paul Sachs. They stay colored up just about all the time. Also got some awesome chrysotus from KSI aquatics which are doing well. I love collecting my own fish, but when gas prices get so high, there is some satisfaction in being able to sit down at the computer, type in a few lines, and have a box of fish from some far away place show up in a few days on your doorstep at a fraction of the expense of traveling there to get them yourself. And knowing reputable people are doing the collecting and they are having fun as well. Works out good for everyone. Hope I can get these sailfins to reproduce. I have not raised many egg layers.

Rick

#6 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hey Chip,

Can't brag too much about the pic, just grabbed the point-and-shoot digicam and there it was. I can't say enough about these shiners. They just have a lot of good qualities. I got these about a year ago from Paul Sachs. They stay colored up just about all the time. Also got some awesome chrysotus from KSI aquatics which are doing well. I love collecting my own fish, but when gas prices get so high, there is some satisfaction in being able to sit down at the computer, type in a few lines, and have a box of fish from some far away place show up in a few days on your doorstep at a fraction of the expense of traveling there to get them yourself. And knowing reputable people are doing the collecting and they are having fun as well. Works out good for everyone. Hope I can get these sailfins to reproduce. I have not raised many egg layers.

Rick

Rick,
The lowland shiners Dustin and I get, as you know, are very similar to the sailfins. Some of the coloration is a little different but not by much. I keep saying fieryblack and bluenose shiners are my favorites but when we catch a school of the lowlands, I have to do some serious reconsideration. Glad you like the chrysotus you got from us!

Chip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users