Feeding Central Stonerollers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

I've had two central stonerollers for some weeks now. I have some algae in my tank long with live plants. I regularly drop in blanched spinach and boiled peas, but I'm worried that these guys aren't eating enough. They seem to graze in a slow, unfocused manner. They show no interest in any of the frozen worms, shrimp, etc. the minnows and darter eat.

Should I be feeding them other foods? Should I he feeding them differently? They are skinny while everything else in the tank is fat.

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

Hey, NotCousteau,

I feed my Central Stonerollers Cobalt Aquatics Algae Wafers, and they also eat the frozen bloodworms and live blackworms that my other fish get. I know in nature they primarily eat algae off of rocks, but they must get a great supply of aufuchs, too. So what they eat is maybe 50% algae, 50% protein? I don't know. But mine do well on the Cobalt wafers and additional protein sources.

Brian

#3 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try those wafers.

Part of my problem is that my stonerollers never feed with the other fish so they lose out on any frozen and prepared foods I feed. I have no idea why. They go MIA. It's not an aggression issue, because they get along fine and will often school with the dace, which they were collected among.

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

How long have you had you Stonerollers? Perhaps yours haven't settled in yet--they should. The species does well in captivity. As Brian mentioned, they do eat a lot of algae, but keep in mind there are many types of algae. Perhaps what is growing in your tank is not a variety they prefer? You should see scrape marks on any rocks/driftwood that they're feeding off of if indeed they are eating it. They should easily take to bloodworms, blackworms, mysis, and even flake--in addition to algae wafers.

A long shot here, but the lack of feeding response could be a product of their environment. Perhaps they aren't feeling comfortable enough to feed? I find Stonerollers to be fairly outgoing and laid back. What is your tank setup like?
Nick L.

#5 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

I have a pair of stonerollers that eat Aqueon shrimp pellets. They sink to the bottom and break apart in a few minutes. Those stonerollers are the fattest fish in the tank. They scrape algae off the rocks as well, but I don't think it contributes much to their total calories.

#6 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

I've had them for about four weeks. They tend to hide out in the back behind the rocks. One of them is more apt to swim out front with the dace and darters than the other. But neither are triggered into feeding like most fish do when their tank companions are going crazy over food. I don't want to say this, but they almost seem dumb to me. (Ok, I take it back. I TAKE IT BACK!) They're just indifferent to all of the frozen food and pellets, although they regularly swim around sucking at the bottom.

The set-up is a 33-long with a school of nine southern redbelly dace, six rainbow darters and a few banded killifish and small shiners. There is some val growing in the back, some elodea in the far right corner and some cabomba in the foreground. Attached is a full-tank shot from the very beginning before any fish and plants were added, and a more recent shot of some of the inhabitants.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.

Attached Files

#7 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I recently suggested this in another topic about some dace being submissive--and that suggestion was to add more! Stonerollers cruise around in schools, and are typically not found alone or in pairs. If you can find a few more, add them and see if that helps. Even if you don't, I would bet that the 2 you have will eventually come out of their shells. Do you get a lot of [human] traffic around your tank? If they don't see you or others all that often, I'm not surprised that after 4 weeks they're still shy.
Nick L.

#8 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

That's a really great suggestion that I hadn't even considered, Nick. I live in Minnesota and we've experienced some recent flooding, so it's unlikely that waterways will return to safe levels anytime soon that will facilitate collection. Hopefully they will come out of their shells with time. I live alone had have guests over occasionally, but there's not a ton of foot traffic by the aquarium.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hey NotCousteau,

I just have to add that your tank looks awesome! You did a really nice job on it. Looks very natural! Hope the stonerollers come out of their shells soon. If not, I have one Central Stoneroller and one Largescale Stoneroller available that are eating very well. The Central is about 3.5" in length and the Largescale is about 5". The cost of those fish is $4.00 each, plus shipping. Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

Brian

#10 Guest_AussiePeter_*

Guest_AussiePeter_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:18 AM

Stoneroller taxonomy is a bit of a mess, some anomalum seem to do poorly in aquaria, others do quite well. I could never keep the common / standard form in Oklahoma, but the red finned ones (C. spadiceum) in Oklahoma did great. Not a lot of people seem to keep Campos thus our knowledge of them in captivity is a bit limited.

Cheers
Peter

#11 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

Thanks, Brian. And thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Peter. I hadn't heard that before. I'm afraid that my experience thus far is similar to yours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users