coppernose bluegill breeding help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

I know that there are most likely a thread like this already, but I can not find it...

So I have my 3 coppernose bluegill and one started to make a nest. how can you tell a male from a female? I have mixed feelings about it breeding in my 150 gallon since I do not want the other fish to get attacked by the male, but it would be cool to have them breed.

If they do breed, what should I do? I'm not the kind of person that could kill the young so should I just leave the fry in there if the adults do breed? I also have a brown bullhead catfish so that could be a problem.

Thanks.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

First show a recent picture of all three coppernose bluegill. Are their any other sunfishes in the system?

#3 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

I do not know when I will be able to get the pictures since the only camera is my mothers and she works all day. I will try to get a picture as soon as possible. Can you tell me anything to look for to tell the gender?

The sunfish are: 3 coppernose bluegills (2 are 6in, 1 is 4in) , 1 bass (5in), 1 warmouth (2.5-3in). I might get a 6-8in black crappie soon.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Unless you move the fry out right away, they will be snacks for the other fish, and even their parents. If you are not set up for rearing the fry this time, it might be best to just leave it be. In the meantime, set yourself up for rearing fry for the next spawning.

The male is the one building, and guarding the nest, assuming you only have one male.

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Can the male be partioned off? Make so female(s) can get to him if they really want. Also, watch closely for evidence spawning has already taken place.

It is possible to raise fry in tank with other fish if nest area is partitioned off from balance of tank. You could even leave father in with brood well after they leave nest. Despite such not being a natural arrangement, for some reason the father will not consume offspring so long as he is with them continuously. I wish I new why such worked.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

You could even leave father in with brood well after they leave nest. Despite such not being a natural arrangement, for some reason the father will not consume offspring so long as he is with them continuously. I wish I new why such worked.

That is very interesting and surprising.

#7 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

I think there might be eggs since he recently started protecting the nest a lot more and is more aggressive. In fact I feel like he is too aggressive for the other sunfish. I need help soon before he hurts the other bluegills too much.

If there are eggs, I will move them to the 20 gallon. How do I move the eggs?

I was wondering how to care for the young when they hatch. I was wondering about temperature, feeding them, etc.

Edited by Leo1234, 09 July 2014 - 10:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users