Rebuilding the 75 gallon

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_guyswartwout_*

Guest_guyswartwout_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Beautiful. And the aquarium looks amazing too.

#22 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

jblaylock you need to stop giving me so many great ideas....lol

#23 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

So the tank has been running now for several weeks. I threw in a Crayfish a few weeks ago, just for fun. I couldn't stand not having something in there. I had been debating adding a couple larger fish to go with the Coosa, but I wanted to get it first so I'd know what size other fish I would need.

So Sunday, I finally made a trip to Harlan county KY to fish for a Coosa. The SE KY regional biologist gave me a good location that has pure strain M. coosae. He told me that downstream at the lake and below they hybridize with KY bass.

This is Martin's Fork of the Cumberland River
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I only fished for a few minutes. My first catch was a large Striped Shiner. After that, I caught two Coosa Bass. The first was the biggest, though not big at all. I quickly put him in the bucket and didn't get a photo. He was about 6-7in long. Here's the second that I caught. This one was a little smaller, maybe 5-6in long.

Posted Image
Posted Image

From my research, the biggest tale on this fish is the white tips on the fin edges. That, along with the red eye and the Smallmouth x Spotted hybrid looking patter on their side is a giveaway.

Posted Image

I must say, it's a beautiful fish. I'm now thinking a big Whitetail shiner or two and a Hogsucker would go well with this fish. Still thinking about a Rock Bass or Longear too, but I'm not sure just yet. I want to see how this fish's demeanor is first.

#24 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

Love the bass and hogsucker idea. I'm sure you've heard our snorkel stories of the bass flowing hogsuckers around.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#25 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

I'm not sure if my experiences are similar enough to be of any value, but I thought I'd mention just in case. When my M. dolomieu was about half it's current size(roughly 10" then) I tried both a rock bass and a plecco with it at different times. The SMB followed the plecco around like it was a game. It never really seemed aggressive but would occasionally bump it if it sat still too long. Maybe the plecco looked similar enough to a hogsucker to trigger the 'following' behavior? The rock bass was a different story. Oddly enough, I think the rock bass might have been alright if it had left the SMB alone. The rock bass was the aggressor for about 2 weeks until it seemed that the SMB grew tired of it and put the rock bass into hiding until I eventually removed it so it could eat.

Beautiful set up. I love the natural stream look.
That coosa bass is nice looking too. If I ever keep another black bass that's probably the direction I'll take. I'm excited to see how this plays out for you.

#26 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

@steve,

Thanks for the tips about the rock bass. I was kinda considering that or a Warmouth. What is a good starter food for a Sunfish species? I bought some redworms, but the Coosa hasn't even paid attention to them yet. I know it's early and he may not be interested in food just yet, but I was curious as to what to feed him to get started? I have setup a 10-gal next to it's tank that I'm going to keep small minnows/shiners in for him to eat, but I haven't collected any yet.

#27 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

I can not get my long ear sunfish to eat worms either. Besides minnows all I can get them to eat is frozen krill and blood worms.

#28 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

I've had luck starting them on crickets and then going to a floating food. I've found that with the size of my smallmouth anymore it's much cheaper to collect a few creek chubs once a week or so. I've had similar experiences with worms and sunfish. Some will eat them, but many just try them and spit them out.

Having the minnow/shiner tank next to him should keep him entertained when he's not eating. :tongue:

Has your coosa went after the crays you put in the tank yet?

#29 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Purchased red worms are typically Eisenia fetida. They are no good for bait or food. They are in fact somewhat toxic. There are many dead reptiles that can attest to this. Fish are usually not interested in them, and will mouth them, and spit them several times before consuming them or leaving them be. Back yard red worms or purchased night crawlers are good and tasty. Try them. Really the cultured red worms are bad news.

#30 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Back yard red worms or purchased night crawlers are good and tasty. Try them.

Yum! :)

#31 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:39 PM

Aww crap. That didn't sound right did it? Quit messing with me Ben! Tasty to fish. Try them on fish.

#32 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Try them on fish.

I've heard of lemon or tarter sauce on fish but,....................oh well, seriously though, I've actually only had a few of my fish like even backyard worms. Most of them try them and then just spit them out.....sometimes several times, but they usually don't end up eating them. Maybe it's the type of dirt they come from or maybe the worms over on your side of the state taste better. Mostly red clay up on this hill here.

Sorry Matt. I figured you'd be OK with a little joking though. :smile2:

#33 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Purchased red worms are typically Eisenia fetida. They are no good for bait or food. They are in fact somewhat toxic. There are many dead reptiles that can attest to this. Fish are usually not interested in them, and will mouth them, and spit them several times before consuming them or leaving them be. Back yard red worms or purchased night crawlers are good and tasty. Try them. Really the cultured red worms are bad news.

It ate two of the worms today. But after hearing this, I'll dump them and get nightcrawlers, do those things really need refrigerated? I just got the red worms because they are smaller and the fish isn't really big. I'd like to start a worm culture in the back yard. Any tips on that worm bedding you can buy at the store?

As a side note, I'm loving the ribbing Matt is getting here. Any more tips for eating worms Matt?

Sent from the Paranoid Manta

#34 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

I've been keeping a worm culture in a styrofoam container in an unused room in my house for a couple of years so I don't think they require refrigeration, but I don't think they'd do well if it's too hot.

#35 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:11 AM

I've been keeping a worm culture in a styrofoam container in an unused room in my house for a couple of years so I don't think they require refrigeration, but I don't think they'd do well if it's too hot.

Details. Maintenance? How do you start, etc...

Sent from the Paranoid Atrix HD Maxx

#36 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

I started mine out in a styrofoam cooler with a lid and filled it with some topsoil (mostly from the woods) and however many worms I caught in 15-20 minutes or so. Whenever I think about it(couple time per week, once per week, every couple weeks), I dump something in the container like used coffee grounds or vegetable scraps. I occasionally reach my hands in to stir the dirt, check the moisture and look at the worms. I try to keep it just moist enough to keep them from getting dry, but not too moist. They really don't seem to like it when the soil gets too wet. Later, I switched to a heavier styrofoam container from my LFS that feeder fish came in. It also has a lid and is much sturdier. It's also a little shallower, so it's easier to stir stuff into the dirt and retrieve worms.

There's probably better ways to do it than what I've got going. I just started with the idea that I'd try to give them something similar to what they have naturally. I've heard that compost piles can make good worm cultures, which I guess is what I've got but on a smaller scale.

I wish I could give you some better or, less vague, information. Mine is a low budget/low maintenance set up. There may be some better ways to improve the yield but I haven't experimented with anythings else.

#37 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

Don't add salted peanut shells or the wigglers will be crawling out of any container. Nothing salty nor citrus. Eventually you will get a gnat and fruit fly investation indoors. Best done outside.
There are plenty of worm recipes on the net. I'm sure those interested can attest.
I think Tennessee still allows the keeping of worms, cockroaches and termites so surely other states do as well..

#38 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

https://www.google.c...fficial&spell=1

Google search.

#39 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

I think he meant to google something like "earthworm recipes" and you will get a totally different sort of thing...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#40 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

What was the song? "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, might as well go eat worms"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users