Stream tank powerhead

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hey guys. I'm setting up a 55 gallon stream tank and I have zero experience with powerheads. What flowrate should I be putting in it, and where should I place it? I've got 2 HOB filters that will be on it, so I'm assuming that means I would want it near the front?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

More is better. Low wattage is also better since watts = energy = heat. And you don't want to add heat to your tank.

Any flow you can create across the front of the tank means that is where the fish will hang out and that is where you can introduce food and that is where you can observe fish. So yes. The front is better for you. The fish don't care where you create flow. They will appreciate it no matter where you put it.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

I see. Any recommendations on a certain one?

#4 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

There's more to flow than just sheer quantity. Typical powerheads concentrate their flow in a very narrow stream. I find I get better results with the "circulation" types designed for SW reef tanks. MaxiJets are inexpensive, and come with the parts needed to convert them into circulation style pumps. An MJ 1200 set up as a standard powerhead gives about 295 gph of flow. Setting the same MJ up as a circulation unit gives about 1300 gph with practically identical power usage.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

I used Maxijets on my stream tank, and was very happy with them. They really create a lot of current.

#6 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

I've been reading up on them, and that seems to be the one that everyone recommends. Thanks guys!

#7 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Maxijets are on sale for less than half of the manufacturer's site at a popular online pet supply retailer in their "summer sale". Not sure if posting the link is considered appropriate on the forum though...I found it with a simple search for "Maxijet powerhead" as an ad in Google.

#8 Guest_Subrosa_*

Guest_Subrosa_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

I will say that the current production MaxiJets don't hold a candle to the old design in terms of durability and are much noisier. Old style MJs are still manufactured under the Cobalt brand, but are considerably more expensive up front, and you would then need to pick up a separate kit to convert it to circulation mode, further increasing cost. Worth it imo.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

Maxijets are on sale for less than half of the manufacturer's site at a popular online pet supply retailer in their "summer sale". Not sure if posting the link is considered appropriate on the forum though...I found it with a simple search for "Maxijet powerhead" as an ad in Google.

Sure, post it. It may save someone a buck. I appreciate you thinking of that, but I am sure you are not gaining anything or advertising for them.

#10 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I found it I think. It's the MarineLand one. From what I've researched, those are junk anyway. Found a Cobalt one on a different online retailer on sale. Thanks for all the responses guys. This beginner sure appreciates it!!!

#11 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Foster and Smith has them on deep discount: here. I don't have any dog in the fight...found it on a Google search 'cause I was curious how much they were. Amazon isn't far off, but Marineland's official site is a lot higher.

Here's the Cobalt version mentioned (on Amazon, could be cheaper elsewhere) : Cobalt version

(edited to add Marineland and Cobalt links)

Edited by Stickbow, 11 July 2014 - 10:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users