My native aquariums

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

I've decided to post about my aquariums every so often. I will post pictures when I'm able to get a camera.

My planted 20 gallon aquarium (long):
fathead minnows (it is hard to count them since they are swimming a lot)
3 red shiners
3 hogchockers
1 eastern mudminnow
1 male orangethroat darter
2 florida flagfish

My planted 150 gallon aquarium:
1 black crappie
3 coppernose bluegills
1 smallmouth bass (decided to keep him since I could not find a person to take him)
1 warmouth
1 lake chubsucker
1 florida brown bullhead

I just got the crappie and darter yesterday. They are both eating already. The crappie is ~6in and the darter is 1in. The black crappie is not being bullied or chased so far, so that is good. My largest bluegill made a nest and I think I got eggs, but I do not know if they are since I do not know what color the eggs are suppose to be. The only fish being bullied are my other bluegills since my bluegill thinks they are the only "threat" to the nest. I planted the aquarium so the fish can hide. I do not think I need to worry about filtration for my 150 since It has a filter made to take up to 400 gallon aquariums.

#2 Guest_Heather_*

Guest_Heather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Very cool... looking forward to pics. How big are the hogchockers?

#3 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

Thanks. The hogchockers are about 2in and still growing. My largest fish in the 20 are my 3in golden redhorse and my 3in fathead minnow. The golden redhorse will eventually go in the 150 when the bullhead can't eat him. I was thinking of getting some greenside darters, but I'm not sure how they would do. I'm trying to get my fish in the 150 to eat small silversides every so often, but only the bullhead catfish does not get sacred by them and he eats the silversides.

Edited by Leo1234, 13 July 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#4 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

update: The black crappie might be eating hikari food sticks. I saw him eat something from the surface and all I fed them this morning was the food sticks. Unfortunately, it seems like I might not have any bluegill eggs since nothing hatched and it has been 5 days. I am going to put hornwort in my 20 gallon so that when my fish breed, the fry have a better chance to survive by hiding in it.

I will post pictures when my mother comes back from a trip. I will have to use her camera since I'm not old enough to drive, making it impossible to go to a store to buy a camera.

I will update later today or when something happens in my aquarium.

#5 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Sounds like some nice tanks.

Surprised the bluegills aren't fighting more.

#6 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Update: My lake chubsucker seems to be my second most aggressive fish since he chased the second largest bluegill and the other fish to the point of hiding more often and trying to jump every so often. the only fish he does not chase are the largest bluegill, the bass, the warmouth, and the crappie. I never thought my sucker would be so aggressive to the point he is starting to rival the bass in aggression. Hopefully my jungle val group grows soon enough to be dense. One of my hogchockers died during the night and I do not know why. The other 2 are doing fine today.

I will post something else later or when something happens today.

#7 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Update: I just got some more plants and some fish. I got some creek chubs and a white sucker for my 150 and might soon get a golden redhorse since I lost 1 chub in shipment
(I think it was the postal services fault since they sometimes seem to not care at all about what is inside). sadly the largest chub in the group was the one that was dead and it looked like it might have been in breeding colors. I also got 4 greenside darters. The plants I got were amazon swords and jungle vals since they create a lot of cover. All of my fish are doing well. I will try to get pictures soon...

#8 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

It's probably better NOT to ship minnows and suckers in full breeding condition, since the elevated hormone levels may make them more susceptible to transport stress, oxygen depletion, and disease. That's weird that your chubsucker is aggressive toward sunfish; I wonder when they will realize that he has no teeth?

#9 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Attached File  2014-08-03 04.31.04.jpg   104.58KB   1 downloads

Attached File  2014-08-03 04.31.15.jpg   79.83KB   1 downloads

Attached File  2014-08-03 04.29.07.jpg   84.14KB   2 downloads

These are some of my pictures. Sadly these are the best quality pictures out of all of the pictures I have.The lake chubsucker has had that injury for a while and it is starting to heal.

Edited by Leo1234, 04 August 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#10 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

Tank looks very nice. Your plants look good too.

#11 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

Update:

My planted 20 gallon aquarium (long):
fathead minnows (it is hard to count them since they are swimming a lot)
2 red shiners
4 greenside darters
1 eastern mudminnow
2 florida flagfish
1 golden redhorse

1 black crappie
3 coppernose bluegills
1 smallmouth bass (decided to keep him since I could not find a person to take him)
1 warmouth
1 lake chubsucker
1 florida brown bullhead
1 white sucker
3 creek chubs

I was looking at my list of fish and noticed that I have a lot of fish that I only have one of. are any of these fish a schooling fish? Also I was wondering if there are any large sunfish I can put in my 150 so the sunfish do not fight? I've read that they need about 6 or more and I think that the bluegills think there are only 3 sunfish since they seem to act like it. If they do not need more sunfish, I'm fine with having the 3 bluegills.

Also any suggestions on what I should do for my aquarium so It looks like a real habitat and not some collection of random plants?

If I do add sunfish, would adding longear sunfish and redear sunfish work?

Edited by Leo1234, 09 August 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#12 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

My white sucker died in my aquarium by getting himself stuck in the driftwood. Also my oldest fathead minnow died in my 20 gallon.

#13 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

I'd love to see that Warmouth. I'm trying to find a tankmate for my newly acquired Coosa Bass.

#14 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

I just got rid of the bass!!!

I put him in my pond outside. The reason was he just got 4x as aggressive and started to try to kill fish.

Edited by Leo1234, 17 August 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#15 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:58 PM

Update:

My planted stream 20 gallon aquarium (long):
5 fathead minnows
2 red shiners
4 greenside darters
1 eastern mudminnow
1 florida flagfish
1 golden redhorse

20 gallon (long) outgrow:
6 redear sunfish

1 black crappie
3 coppernose bluegills
1 warmouth
1 lake chubsucker
1 florida brown bullhead
3 creek chubs

The bass died in the pond. I am using giant hairgrass as my main plant in my 150 now. The planted 20 gallon stream tank is doing well from what I can tell. Any stream plants you recommend for a 20 gallon that has T-5 medium light? What size do the redears have to be when they are put into the 150? They are 0.25in and the bullhead is 6in. Both are still growing.

Edited by Leo1234, 24 August 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#16 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

Update:

My planted stream 20 gallon aquarium (long):
3-4 fathead minnows
2 red shiners
4 greenside darters
1 florida flagfish
1 golden redhorse
2 white crappie
1 Black common goldfish

20 gallon (long) outgrow:
1 redear sunfish

1 black crappie
3 coppernose bluegills
1 warmouth
1 lake chubsucker
1 florida brown bullhead
3 creek chubs

#17 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Nice stock. How are those shiners doing with just 2? I think I'm about to be down to three redside dace and was wondering how minnows do in low numbers.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#18 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks. You also have a nice stock.
The red shiners keep fighting with each other since both are breeding males. I had 4 but the females died. When the males fight, it is more chasing than actual attacking. when they get scared, they school with the fathead minnows and actually lead the school. The weirdest thing they did was try to mate with my 3in golden redhorse when I first got it. I have noticed that the red shiners seem to be more independent compared to the fathead minnows. the reason I say that is if one of my fathead minnows is separated from the school, it freaks out. When my red shiners get separated, they look for a plant to hide in rather than freak.

#19 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Tried to breed with a sucker, lol.

Edited by Everything Fish, 25 September 2014 - 08:10 PM.

Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#20 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:20 AM

I was thinking about changing my 20 long from a planted stream to a regular stream aquarium.

What I was thinking of having is: 5 Redside dace, 2 Central stonerollers, and 4 greenside darters. What do you think? Also what can I do to prevent my bluegill from making a nest? He keeps making a nest and driving the other bluegills into hiding.

Also I might get a 10-20 gallon and was wondering what you think would be a good stock for the aquarium? There will be only natural indirect light. IO might fill it with java ferns and make a swamp aquarium, but them I do not know what would work in there. I was thinking of getting some bluespotted sunfish or a group of mudminnows if I go with the swamp theme. If I go with a stream I will most likely go with darters. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Edited by Leo1234, 04 October 2014 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users