3D background projects.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

So I recently decided to make a 3D background for my 72 gallon bow front. I picked up a 20 gallon long this weekend so I would have a place to hold my fish while I started my project. Being that I have never tried this before I thought it would be a good idea to practice with the 20 L. I did not want to stack several layers on top of each other the whole length of the tank like a lot of people have done. It looks great but seem to take up a lot of area in the aquarium. So i did it a little different. It's not fished yet. I still have to add color and another coat tomorrow.

Cut a solid piece of green guard from lowes the size of the back glass
Attached File  20140713_151658.jpg   102.05KB   4 downloads

Then used silicone to layer a few spots by stacking foam
Attached File  20140713_162053.jpg   119.17KB   7 downloads

Shaped it with a sanding disk on a grinder and a propane torch.Attached File  20140714_164010.jpeg   152.6KB   4 downloads

Added concrete
Attached File  20140714_172512.jpeg   94.02KB   1 downloads

Started to dry grey. I will add color in tomorrow. I am fairly happy with the way it's going so far. I should have shaped some areas a little different (maybe smoother) but that's why I'm practicing. I will post this finished project and the 72 gallon when i start it.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Looks good! What would you say was the total cost of the materials?

#3 Guest_NotCousteau_*

Guest_NotCousteau_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Looks good! Keep us posted on your progress.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

That looks great already, don't think you need any practice. You may have motivated me to finally try one myself.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Very nice. If that is just practice, the real deal should be awesome.

#6 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Thank you..... this morning it was completely dry definitely needs color now. It looks like a drive way...lol

Looks good! What would you say was the total cost of the materials?

I have $58.00 in it. It should do both the 20 L and my 72 gallon. That includes 4 cheep brushes, a couple plastic mixing cups and two colors. I would say if you only bought one color and already had brushes it could be done for under $50.

Edited by cjohns, 15 July 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#7 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Looks good, I have to make up mind soon as i get my 75 ready to set up, lots of good ideas here and on you tube as well...

#8 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

Looks good.

#9 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Hope this is not a dumb question. You do mean outside the tank background, don't you?

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Not a dumb question at all. But I am pretty sure that most if these are planned to go in the tank.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

I knew a lot of salt water folks were interested in and using these; hadn't gotten seen a lot of freshwater people talking - but don't frequent those forums.

I have been taking underwater photos to try and do something similar; hadn't figured out the chemistry with freshwater yet.

What paints are you using, cjohns?

Edited to add:

It looks amazing, by the way!

Edited by Stickbow, 15 July 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#12 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

I knew a lot of salt water folks were interested in and using these; hadn't gotten seen a lot of freshwater people talking - but don't frequent those forums.

I have been taking underwater photos to try and do something similar; hadn't figured out the chemistry with freshwater yet.

What paints are you using, cjohns?

I've made a couple small ones. I used concrete coloring. You mix the color with the concrete and add a thin layer.

#13 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Thanks! Yes I'm using a concrete dye. It comes in powder form and you just mix it in.

Attached Files

#14 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Well I put on the last coat today. I'll post a picture once it drys. Hopefully the color turns out decent. It drys much lighter then when applied.

#15 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Well I put on the last coat today. I'll post a picture once it drys. Hopefully the color turns out decent. It drys much lighter then when applied.

I bought a couple different colors of browns, tan, and gray and used a mix for different effects and depths.

Sent from the Paranoid Manta

#16 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Apologies for a ton of questions - this is fascinating to me, and I've been digging through tons of posts on other sites for several weeks (reefcentral.com's gargantuan thread on DIY rock, especially). Most of what I'm finding is 6 or 7 years old, which makes me wonder why it sorta just stopped - until YouTube videos repeating the same experiments surface in 2011 or thereabouts.

Can those of you who have done this tell how long you're letting the concrete cure, and whether or not you're leaching the excess calcium from it for some period of time?

Did you use the Top 'n Bond as the "concrete", or only for the tinted surface "paint"?

I've done a bit of concrete work, and would like to apply it to aquaria, but not badly enough to screw up :)

#17 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:54 AM

I bought a couple different colors of browns, tan, and gray and used a mix for different effects and depths.

Sent from the Paranoid Manta

I bet it looked great. I used two colors charcoal and buff.

#18 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

Did you use the Top 'n Bond as the "concrete", or only for the tinted surface "paint"?

I've done a bit of concrete work, and would like to apply it to aquaria, but not badly enough to screw up :)

The brand is Sakrete. Only reason for choosing it is because that is what the local Lowe's carries. Top n bond is just there name for a patch concrete. Quikeret. calls there's quikwall. It's very easy can't really screw it up.

#19 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Ok so I think I'm done with the 20L background. Now time for the big one! I'm happy with it for being my first one. Time to silicone it place. I have two aqueon 700 GPH power heads order from amazon. Stole them at $12 a piece. Do you think it will be a decent amount of flow in the 20L? Figured I would try two smaller ones to spread out the flow.
Attached File  Text.jpg   97.61KB   2 downloads

#20 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

I used the Sakrete too, as I went to Lowes also.

I only used a few thin coats. The initial coat was a little thicker, but the 'color coats' where thin. I watered those coats down a bit. I let the background cure for several days, I can't remember how many. Then I siliconed it to the aquarium and let that set a few days. I let it set with water in it for a week or two.

Ok so I think I'm done with the 20L background. Now time for the big one! I'm happy with it for being my first one. Time to silicone it place. I have two aqueon 700 GPH power heads order from amazon. Stole them at $12 a piece. Do you think it will be a decent amount of flow in the 20L? Figured I would try two smaller ones to spread out the flow.

Looks awesome! Have you thought of the river manifold design? I just did it in my 75, and it's super easy. Just make sure you buy some PVC cutters. You can have it together in 30min or less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users