Redbreast Sunfish?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_QuoVadis_*

Guest_QuoVadis_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

To those you who have kept these im the aquarium, how do you like them? I am ordering some sunfish that arent available around me (longears, dollars) but the guy mentioned he would have some of Redbreast. Looking at pictures I am having a hard time getting an idea how nice they look in an aquarium, or if they just look pretty plain, like a bluegill.

So opinions, should I get one/some or not?

#2 Guest_QuoVadis_*

Guest_QuoVadis_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

Would love to see pictures too!

#3 Guest_Pumpkinsteve_*

Guest_Pumpkinsteve_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Redbreast are my least favorite of the Lepomis. Although quite beautiful when taken from the wild in breeding color, in an aquarium they quickly lose the color and become a drab gray fish. For angling, in my opinion, they put up a stronger fight pound for pound than any other Lepomis. In the aquarium this seems to translate into aggression, they make a very poor alpha, sometimes bullying other fish to the point they have to be separated. I've also had problems with smaller Redbreast being the target of bullying, seems like the bigger fish sense their aggressive nature and will not tolerate it.

I've only tried them a couple of times, all wild caught in Pennsylvania, so your mileage may vary.

If you decide to try them, I would suggest only getting one.

#4 Guest_QuoVadis_*

Guest_QuoVadis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Yeah, I may just pass on the Redbreast then... sounds kind of like many bluegill in aquariums. I got lucky in that regard, because my brother-in-law caught a extraordinarily beautiful bluegill, and instead of eating it gave it me! It turned out to be very peaceful, and is doing a great job as the alpha sunfish in the tank. I don't really want to mess with that balance, except for with sunfish I REALLY want, like the Longears and dollars.

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

I totally disagree about redbreast losing all color. I found the opposite to be true. They don't keep the bright red color from the wild but stay very nicely colored nevertheless. I have some nice pics but can't figure out how to post them.

I found them pretty aggressive toward all sunfish species. Not as bad as pumpkinseeds but worse than bluegill.

#6 Guest_Pumpkinsteve_*

Guest_Pumpkinsteve_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

I totally disagree about redbreast losing all color. I found the opposite to be true. They don't keep the bright red color from the wild but stay very nicely colored nevertheless. I have some nice pics but can't figure out how to post them.

I found them pretty aggressive toward all sunfish species. Not as bad as pumpkinseeds but worse than bluegill.

Yes, losing all color is an exaggeration, creative license on my part...

In my opinion they are the least attractive Lepomis, but they are also my least favorite, so that could be influencing my perspective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so your mileage may vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users