Actually, no, I'm not food, silly bluegills!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Because it's amusing me, have a link to a (somewhat poor quality) video I shot of some bluegills checking if I was food (White Pond, Concord, MA):

Silly creatures. :) (and don't bother with sound; I have no idea what's making noise, but it's not me or the fish)

Photos of the same group of fish in my album.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

They are actually waiting to see if you stir up some food with your hands. You'll find many types of fish that will follow other animals/fish around and suck up any prey items that get spooked out of the substrate.

Neat video nonetheless. Bluegills certainly have an inquisitive personality. Thank you for sharing.
Nick L.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

mostly agree with nick, but also some of those guys can see the small hairs on your arm and are reacting to that. now you have begun to experience the magic of being underwater with the fishes.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

Ha! I can't swim in my pond without a shirt. I have a hairy chest, and if I swim without a shirt, the Lepomis in my pond seem to think my chest is a smorgasbord of little worms. The first couple times I swam without a shirt, the biting was very startling, and they actually left marks on me.I was quite surprised, I did not think bluegill had that much jaw strength. My kids have no problem.

#5 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

Ha! I can't swim in my pond without a shirt. I have a hairy chest, and if I swim without a shirt, the Lepomis in my pond seem to think my chest is a smorgasbord of little worms. The first couple times I swam without a shirt, the biting was very startling, and they actually left marks on me.I was quite surprised, I did not think bluegill had that much jaw strength. My kids have no problem.

I've also had that problem in our local pond - but I do NOT have a hairy chest, so they target what they do see on my chest. Talk about startling! Ouch!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE White's Pond. Many many hours of my formative years were spent on the bank there, or under the water. If those shores could talk, the stories...oh dear, on second thought, good thing they can't.

Highlites from years there, watching a guy land a 14 lb brown trout, another guy land a 30 inch tiger muskie which reported to the state, found out was NOT stocked by them, and myself dipnetting some kind of pet shop gar. I reported it by phone to F&G who asked for the body. I had it in my freezer for a long time intending to send it, got tossed when I was absent.

#6 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Looks like you made alot of fishy friends. :)

I love when I am in the water and they start following me around. I once swam around intentionally stirring up debris and drew in alot of fish. (I had to stop though when a snapping turtle chased me, apparently calling in the food chain has drawbacks).

#7 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

I've also had that problem in our local pond - but I do NOT have a hairy chest, so they target what they do see on my chest. Talk about startling! Ouch!

I recently found out that I can't snorkel without a shirt due to the same problem. Do they make snorkeling pasties? LOL

#8 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Duct Tape works well.

#9 Guest_cjohns_*

Guest_cjohns_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Duct Tape works well.

I bet!! Free wax job as well!

#10 Guest_wispfox_*

Guest_wispfox_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

Oh, they liked it when I stirred up the water, also, but they were definitely nipping me to see if I was food.

I'm used to fish doing this, but didn't realize how much of a nip those could give! (no wounds, so I was ok with it)

#11 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

Cool video. When I snorkel up in erie I always get fish that follow me looking for food that my feet kick up. Mainly emerald shiners but also golden shiners, invasive round gobies, and rarely I'll see a white bass or LMB following as well.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users