curious on how members here collect certain fish

37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Fish that go under 3" such as crappies, basses, panfish. madtoms, bullheads, pikes, mudminnows, ect

Nets or what size hooks do you use? What types of baits? What kind of areas do you look for to catch small fish like these?

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

Fish that go under 3" such as crappies, basses, panfish. madtoms, bullheads, pikes, mudminnows, ect

Nets or what size hooks do you use? What types of baits? What kind of areas do you look for to catch small fish like these?

seine nets a seine net is like a tennis court net with smaller(mine are 1/8 inch) holes and a bit less wide you get 2 people(or 1 depending on state regulations and net size) with one person holding the side of the net(attached to a pole) and the other person onthe other side and walk up the stream and when you stop you lift the net out of the water and try not to let the fish out

or in very small creeks dipnets and minnow traps work well
for lakes I would say minnow traps and very small hooks you can find at fly fishing stores with small bits of worms or even mealworms for bait

clear (non trout stream) creeks, small rivers, pools around the sides of rivers for lakes ones with docks and few people work best

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

Dipnet 95% of the time ...

http://www.jonahsaqu...m/netdipnet.htm is a good place to start....

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

As for the rest, you need to get out with another fish nut on this forum, that's the best way to learn the ins and outs.

#5 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

In many states, crappie, bass, pan fish, pikes, and all other game fish can NOT be kept if caught with a seine. In many states, the ONLY legal method to take these fish is by hook-and-line (or pole-and-line; check your state's regs), regardless of their size.

You can buy tiny hooks if you like, meant for fly fishing. You can either bait these with tiny worms, etc., or you can use small fly fishing flies and float them on the surface (or work them slowly if they are wet flies). I've also seen little lures meant for catching things like very small sunfish for use as cut bait.

Dipnets and seins are perfect for non-game species, but can not be recommended for game fish on this board.

#7 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:29 AM

I have had good luck with fish traps, they cost about $10.00 or so.

I think that at one time or another i have caught most all of those fish you have named, i also catch seed shrimp and baby crawfish (great for feeders)

#8 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

I often collect by myself and it's sometimes hard to use a seine that way. I have spent many hours catching all kinds of fish with a tiny hook and piece of worm for bait. I slayed the Dollar Sunfish and Seminole Killies down around Tampa like this and have caught Striped Shiners, Silver Shiners, Warpaint Shiners, White tailed Shiners, Streamlined Chubs and even a few Turquoise Shiners (aka Spotfin Chub...had to release those) and lots of other small, sometimes hard to dipnet species. Besides getting some fish I can't get any other way...it's just plain fun!

Rick

#9 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

Any hook sizes/styles do you guys prefer?

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

Any hook sizes/styles do you guys prefer?

I like #14-#18 aberdeen hooks with #2 lb test. I pinch the barb with a precision set of needle nose pliers.

#11 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Interesting. I'm buying one of those noodle rod things that are about 2.5-3 foot long and will probably try what your doing. I also have a cane pole would that work better?

p.s. I have a typical spinning real with 4 pound test but is way to long to handle easilly. Everything else I have is too heavy for this.

#12 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Interesting. I'm buying one of those noodle rod things that are about 2.5-3 foot long and will probably try what your doing. I also have a cane pole would that work better?
p.s. I have a typical spinning real with 4 pound test but is way to long to handle easilly. Everything else I have is too heavy for this.

I would try handlines I mean how hard is it to pull in a 1/10 lbs shiner or darter :mrgreen:

#13 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:19 PM

I use seines, traps, regular nets, homemade nets, and a really cool cage for darters. Those "flow through air cages", whatever they're called, for lizards- are perfect for collecting darters or bottom dwelling fish. Of course, you can make your own, I just had one laying around from when I was raising anoles :) . I think it was made by exo-terra, was perfect, lost it in a fast flowing stream when I got attacked by a snapping turtle though :/

#14 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

Fleet farm has a 18"x12"x8" minnow trap for like 3$ I'm gonna buy one. Do people steal these a lot? What should I expect to catch in one?

#15 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

The "hardware cloth" kind of trap? (1/4" mesh chicken wire.) We used to catch minnows and crayfish in them pretty consistently. They are particularyly good for baiting, 'cause the bait disperses. You may even get some teeny-tiny sunfish. (Although the legality of keeping trapped panfish and/or gamefish is questionable. My WI fishing regulations are not handy.)

#16 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:13 PM

Yeah it's sorta like really tight chain link fence in either a box shape (7$) or an egg shape (3$). I have money for either but What are the benefits/disadvantages of either or? does the oval ones probably have a bigger opening to trap larger fish?

#17 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:14 AM

I use seines, traps, regular nets, homemade nets, and a really cool cage for darters. Those "flow through air cages", whatever they're called, for lizards- are perfect for collecting darters or bottom dwelling fish. Of course, you can make your own, I just had one laying around from when I was raising anoles :) . I think it was made by exo-terra, was perfect, lost it in a fast flowing stream when I got attacked by a snapping turtle though :/

Flamingo,
Could you describe your darter-catching setup more? Is the cage you used something like this: http://www.exo-terra...lexarium_i.html, or a different one? (So I might have and idea of how to build one.) How did you operate it? I'm always dreaming of better ways to catch darters by myself (although moving to Tidewater Virginia means the darters are now few and far between. I guess that means I need to get even better at it when I try to collect any.)\
Thanks!

#18 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

That's exactly what I used. I can never remember the name of it though. Basically all I did was keep one flap open over the largest area, and submerge it in the water with something overtop of it to keep it from moving in the current. Just go through the rocks with a net on one side and chase them into the "trap". It's great for collecting darters, and in half an hour or a little more I ended up with 50 darters that i've kept from it. It's basically a simplified "darter net" that doesn't cost nearly as much if you build one yourself, or sometimes if you buy a pre-made cage like the one shown.

HTH

#19 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

Can darters be caught from shore with a dipnet or minow trap? Or will I have to wade. The reason I'm asking is because Me and some friends might go bullhead fishing soon, and I might wanna set up my minow trap or get a dipnet.

#20 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

You will always do better by wading. And, even when you don't plan to do it, you may very well get wet anyway. The water is a bit cold this time of year, but that keeps the mosquitoes and leeches down.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users