Where to microfish in my area?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Catfishy_*

Guest_Catfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hi I just joined this forum earlier today because I need help on finding a location to fish. I have a 2 acre pond in my yard and I want to micro fish in it. I didn't stock it with minnows but would it still maybe have some minnows in it? Like bluegill, catfish, or bass fry? Also I want to catch some creek chubs to stock the stream in my yard. Hopefully there are minnows in my pond If not, there's a river in town called the little Miami river where I can try and fish. It is a very large river. If that doesn't work I can try the Ohio river also. Has anyone ever tried these locations for minnow fishing? I really want to catch some cool minnows. Thanks!

Edited by Catfishy, 03 August 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#2 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Best place to find creek chubs is tiny rocky streams that are too small for most other fish, like 5 to 10 ft wide. They are fun to catch microfishing. Most eastern US minnows (REAL minnows: shiners, dace, chubs, etc ... Cyprinidae family) prefer flowing streams or large lakes, and usually don't persist long-term in small farm ponds. Golden shiner is one of the few good minnows for ponds. Banded killifish (not really a minnow) might live OK, IF you have beds of submerged aquatic plants in the shallow areas for them to escape the bass and catfish.

It is probably NOT Legal to stock fish in a stream that flows off your property (without a permit). Check with your state fishery agency. .. and welcome to NANFA!

(PS - you may get teased around here for calling sunfish, bass, and catfish fry "minnows" - just a warning! ;>) ~~ Gerald

#3 Guest_Stickbow_*

Guest_Stickbow_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Re: Catching fish (not stocking, unless you mean your aquarium)

Pretty much anyplace is worth trying if you want the fun of microfishing. The barest looking stream can generate a lot of fun. There's a stream that runs underground through my town, exiting just below a concrete mill, then running about 150-200 yards to a nice creek that is a feeder for the Flint/Apalachicola river drainage.

The main channel is inches deep, but there are holes along the side with limbs and concrete chunks in them. Dabbling a chunk of worm on a #16 or 14 hook will let you catch 4" channel cats, bream, and some of the larger "minnows".

This is behind a public park, and a couple miles from my house. If I need some quiet time, I can be there, catch/release 20-30 fish and be home in a couple of hours :biggrin:

Long story short - the best thing to do is get your hook wet, and see what you can catch. I bet your pond has some interesting things in it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users