Saltwater Porgy ID Assistance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rc6750_*

Guest_rc6750_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

For some reason I have a terrible time trying to identify species of saltwater porgy. The reference material I have and example photographs seem at times contradictory. I am reaching out here to see if maybe somebody just knows what these fish are.

I caught all of my fish in the Tampa Bay area and the following species of porgy exist in the Gulf of Mexico (I have excluded pinfish and sheepshead)
  • Grass Porgy (Calamus arctifrons)
  • Jolthead Porgy (Calamus bajonado)
  • Saucereye Porgy (Calamus calamus)
  • Campeche Porgy (Calamus campechanus)
  • Whitebone Porgy (Calamus leucosteus)
  • Knobbed Porgy (Calamus nodosus)
  • Sheepshead Porgy (Calamus penna)
  • Pluma Porgy (Calamus pennatula)
  • Littlehead Porgy (Calamus proridens)
Below are three fish - my IDs, Input welcome.

This one has been identified as a grass porgy - juveniles are supposed to have a dark bar through the eye.
Posted Image
I identified this one as a littlehead porgy - but I don't remember why now.
Posted Image

Newest fish caught - the more I look at it the more I am unsure
Posted Image

So thanks for looking - any input you guys help would be great thanks
Posted Image

#2 Guest_associatedboy_*

Guest_associatedboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

They are all grass porgies. The one you have IDed as a littlehead porgy is just the adult (I believe male, pretty sure they are protogynous) coloration of the grass porgy. Other than sheepshead, pinfish, and spottail pinfish, the grass porgy is the most common species in inshore waters of west central Florida. I've seen a few pictures/videos of other porgy species from the deeper waters of Tampa Bay.

#3 Guest_rc6750_*

Guest_rc6750_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:56 AM

They are all grass porgies. The one you have IDed as a littlehead porgy is just the adult (I believe male, pretty sure they are protogynous) coloration of the grass porgy. Other than sheepshead, pinfish, and spottail pinfish, the grass porgy is the most common species in inshore waters of west central Florida. I've seen a few pictures/videos of other porgy species from the deeper waters of Tampa Bay.

Thanks for your insight associatedboy - Makes sense - I think part of my problem is I have not yet had any experience handling or seeing the other species first hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users