midwater darters?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

I recently read that there are darters that like to swim more than stay on the substrate. The one that is mentioned is the Frecklebelly darter. Are there any other species that do this that are more common? It would be cool to have a midwater darter in an aquarium. If there is a topic like this already, you can erase this one.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Generally speaking, darters from the genus Percina tend to spend more time off the bottom. This is not the rule, however, as many Pecina species can be just as benthic [and 'darty'] as those from the Etheostoma genus. Tangerine darters (Percina aurantiaca) are a good example of darters that you will find actively swimming off the bottom for extended periods. I have also noticed that Gilt darers (Percina evides) in aquariums will spend a good amount of time swimming off the bottom. They will often come up much higher in the water column to feed than other species of darters in the tank with them. These same observations do not hold true while watching this species in the wild.

Please note that I keep using the phrase, "off the bottom", meaning any where from a few inches, to a foot or so. You will not find any of the darters (Percina or Etheostoma) swimming in the upper water column with a school of shiners all day. I do enjoy mixing Percina and Etheostoma for the same reason you mentioned--having different types of fish occupying different areas in the tank.
Nick L.

#3 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

From my experience, logperch and dusky darters are fun to keep and watch. They're very curious and spend most of their time off the bottom. However, when nothing is going on in the tank they'll eventually settle down and sit on the bottom or in the plants.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

To my knowledge the the Frecklebelly is the only one that swims constantly.

#5 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

In my experience nothing compares to frecklebelly darters when it comes to swimming midwater. They have such a well developed air bladder that midwater swimming is effortless. Many other Percina are very active swimmers as well, and will still be an interesting addition. I am sure that you will find that most Percina will behave quite differently than Etheostoma. What is available to you?

#6 Guest_Leo1234_*

Guest_Leo1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

I can only order online because of ca laws. From all of the websites that I can find here is a list (most are not in stock)

rainbow darter, greenside darter, fantail darter, Savannah darter, swamp darter, Johnny Darter, tessellated darter, sawcheek darter, orangethroat darter, seagreen darter, variegate darter, banded darter, Logperch Darter, piedmont darter, Slenderhead Darter, Blackside Darter, Blackbanded darter, Dusky Darter, Brown darter, stripetail darter, tennessee snubnose darter.

The ones that I know are for sale right now are Rainbow, greenside, swamp, fantail, and johnny darters.

The ones I have are orangethroat and greenside.

Edited by Leo1234, 21 August 2014 - 01:53 PM.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Logperch Darter, piedmont darter, Slenderhead Darter, Blackside Darter, Blackbanded darter, Dusky Darter

Those are all Percina. I have never kept piedmont, but have kept the rest. All spend more time up off the bottom than Etheostoma darters. Logperch, and slenderhead seem to prefer a bit more current than the rest, and are a bit more bottom oriented, at least in my experience.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Agree with Skipjack. Except I had some piedmonts in the past and they were a lot like blackbandeds in general.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

This is an exception to the loose rule but my Greensides always swim in the mid level and occasionally the top of the tank whenever I'm in the same room. I've had people tell me they're hard to feed because other darters will out compete them, opposite for mine, they're always first to the food in my tank before any other darters or minnows and my male handfeeds. But like I said, most Greensides aren't as active as mine are.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

I love my little Piedmont darter, Percina crassa. It spends at least as much time in the middle water column of a 55 as it does on the bottom. Come feeding time and he's right in there with the shiners and chubs. My blackbandeds spend a lot of time in the water column, too, and they have a cool profile, but aren't quite as interesting, imo...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users