Stocking plans?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_herpwhisperer_*

Guest_herpwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hey guys, new here but I have kept tropical and done some relatively good research on natives. My tank will be either a 20 long, a 10 , or a 30. I really like darters, but I know they might be a little too difficult so I'm willing to wait until I have some experience with natives. I also want to collect my own animals so I also have to consider that. I do have Blacknose dace in my area (northern VA) that I really enjoy, along with many other larger minnow species that I have not identified yet. Suggestions and advice are welcome, as I am not very knowledgeable but I really enjoy natives even though I do not personally have any. Thanks!

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

Blacknose dace are really hardy and a good start into natives in my opinion. Sounds like you are willing to do some reading and getting to know your fish first, that is great. Based on that, I would only have two pieces of advice for you;
  • dace are typically small stream fish and as you might read here (by using the search function and looking around) they are prone to jumping, so get a good tank cover or DIY yourself a fence of some sort to help keep them in the tank :biggrin:
  • wait until the fall to collect. heat stress is particularly harsh on cold water small stream fishes and they can be in pretty bad shape this time of year. they will be healthier and live longer if you collect smaller individuals in the cooler weather.
Welcome to the forum, and consider joining NANFA. Take a look at our main webpage over at www.nanfa.org
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_herpwhisperer_*

Guest_herpwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

Thanks! I will probably wait till early spring due to space and money but I was thinking maybe 5-8 black nose dace and something else small. Any suggestions?

#4 Guest_herpwhisperer_*

Guest_herpwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

Ok it looks like 6-8 daces and maybe something else small like Gambusia or topminnows. Any comments/suggestions?

Edited by herpwhisperer, 04 September 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Rainbow Darters are fairly hardy if you're wanting to get into darters. Key is to keep your water clean and as cool as possible. I'd avoid ever going above 76 F for most species of darters with 66-74 IME being the best temp range. My first natives were a pair of Greenside Darters (not beginner fish) and as long as you know what you're doing you should be fine.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Guest_herpwhisperer_*

Guest_herpwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

Thank you! That is good to know, It looks like them are on the other end of VA so I might have to order some online. Since I would prefer to catch my own, are there any other hardier species near me such as swamp or fantails as a back up? I know a stream that has darters where the water gets to at least 78-80F, I will try to id them. Alright then,for now, my stocking list looks like 7 or so dace and a pair of Rainbow Darters(?) in a 30. Thanks for all your advice!

Edited by herpwhisperer, 07 September 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:32 AM

That sounds good! If you can get pictures I'm sure either I or some other members can ID them for you. Of they're in such a warm stream it could possibly be species like swamps which I've heard are also fairly hardy and can tolerate higher temps.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

Just remember that there is no such thing as a 80 degree stream. Sure the water might be 80 degrees in one place you measure. But what about in a deep hole, or what about in the shade, or what about the million other factors in a natural system. In a natural stream the fish can move to where the conditions are best for them, and they experience the highs and lows. I have a stock tank out back and I can measure the surface temperature well above 95 some days. But down deep (where the fish stay on days like that) it is in the 60s-70s. Almost none of our native fish are going to do well in consistent 80 degree water.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_swampfish_*

Guest_swampfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

I've had very good experiences in keeping both fantail and swamp darters, and I've had such poor luck with enough darter species that I almost never collect them. Both do well in standard aquarium set-ups. The important thing is to make sure that the darters get enough to eat with other fish in the tank. They are much easier to keep in a species tank or with other darters. I've had good luck with fantail, swamp, banded and rainbow darters feeding them frozen bloodworms.
Phil Nixon

#10 Guest_herpwhisperer_*

Guest_herpwhisperer_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

Thanks! I am looking at collecting one or a pair of these from somewhere in VA. I will make sure that they are fed enough and will remove them to a separate tank if necessary. Thanks to all of you for such great info! I can't wait :)

#11 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

Keep us updated!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users