Photo

Hog Sucker Tips?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

A local headwaters of mine is just absolutely slap full of y.o.y. yellowfin shiners, y.o.y. bluehead chubs, and juvenile northern hog suckers. Monday I brought four hog suckers home to grow out for a while in my 55. They are all between 2 and 3 inches long, chubby and active. They love being up near the current-generating fan thingy, bobbing and weaving in the outflow. They also seem to enjoy each others company.

They spend a lot of time swimming in the middle and even upper level of the water column. Kinda surprising as I pictured them as a more benthic fish. I assume they'll become more "bottomcentric" as they adjust to their new home. I have yet to see them eat, but it's only been three days. Funny thing is, they don't seem to be losing any body mass, so I assume they are finding chow when lights go out.

Any advice for raising these guys? I brought home a couple gallons of their native sediment to add to the tank to help 'em feel at home and give 'em some transition forage. (They seem less interested in it than the established fish; namely darters and two chowhound blueheads.) They have plenty of current, big rocks to hide in and explore, and substrate suitable for rooting around in. Small amounts of bloodworms and some flake are fed after lights out; chubs probably get it, but it's the ol' college try...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Guest_BenCantrell_*

Guest_BenCantrell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:29 AM

Aqueon shrimp pellets work for mine. The other fish (shiners) will peck at them and break them up, but the suckers are the only fish that can truly vaccum the sand, which guarantees that they get their share of food.

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

Matt, its great that you started off with juvies as they transition to a life in captivity better than adults. (Which is rarely a factor when considering shiners and darters). You will find success stories keeping hogsuckers, however more often than not you'll hear failure to thrive stories. Sub-adults usually always slowly fade away and die after several months of getting thinner and thinner.

Clearly yours are enjoying the current and I think it is a great idea to incorporate the natural [fine] substrate they were found on. They don't do quite as well with larger, coarser, gravel. Like Ben said, they will take to shrimp pellets eventually and will sift out most other food items. The other biggest factor to consider is competition. They are not aggressive feeders and will quickly be out-competed by chubs, shiners, and potentially darters. Just something to consider in making sure they get enough food. Blackworms and bloodworms are a great food item as well for these guys. (The blackworms in particular make a great forage food as the hogsuckers are the only ones that can efficiently sift through and under the top layer of sand to get to the worms). Everything about your tank sounds good. I would personally feed on the heavier side to ensure there is leftover food for the suckers after everyone else has had their fill.

If you can get them sufficient food, they should last a handful of years. But I would be hesitant to say that they'll attain the monstrous size you see them in the wild. Very cool fish that I enjoyed keeping--but had to eventually take them off the collection fan as they didn't thrive in the highly competitive exhibit I kept them in.

Best of luck! (Any pics?)
Nick L.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

Today is my day to agree with the above two responders... so I will again in this thread. Successful sucker-keeping in my experience is a combination of sandy substrate that can be sifted through and enough food to get to the bottom for them. I have had success with shrimp pellets and with NLS pellets. In both cases it is about getting them to the bottom quickly and letting them dissolve and then get vacuumed up by the little hoovers. Nick brings up a good thing about competition... the one jumprock that I had really grow was in a tank of darters... do he had all the cleanup duty to himself and no competition. But I think you can do it!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:59 PM

I thought you were asking for a recipe....Beef tips, Hog sucker tips....difference, maybe

I hope to find one this weekend that will work in my tank. I'm glad this thread came up.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the insight, everybody. Given what's been shared, I think I'll add more of their native sand; their hoovering area is still pretty small. I'll find some high quality pellets and experiment with ways to deliver food that maximize the 'suckers access to it. May need to retank either the blueheads or the 'suckers.

Served grilled on a cedar plank for Josh.

Pictures, since Nick asked...

Their natal stream, Big Curl Tail Creek, Abbeville Co, SC. My lovely daughter Erin assisted admirably in their capture.
Attached File  P9010315.JPG   174.21KB   4 downloads

Three incher in the phototank.
Attached File  P9010320.JPG   103.36KB   2 downloads

Front view of 55.
Attached File  P9040336.JPG   117.2KB   1 downloads

End view showing "Hoover Zone".
Attached File  P9040339.JPG   138KB   3 downloads

Bobbin' and weavin' in the current...
Attached File  P9040344.JPG   116.12KB   1 downloads

On Pride Rock...
Attached File  P9040347.JPG   130.39KB   2 downloads

These guys don't sit still too much, so this is the best I can manage so far...
Matt Knepley

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

They are looking for more sand... oh, and nice collecting box!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Like most stream fish they do better when collected in cooler temperatures than now in the southeast. But I hope I'm wrong in this case.

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

They are looking for more sand... oh, and nice collecting box!

I attribute all my success to that collecting cooler! Some day it will find its way back to GA, but until then, it ain't on vacation!

Like most stream fish they do better when collected in cooler temperatures than now in the southeast. But I hope I'm wrong in this case.

I had some concerns about the water temps and ambient temps, too. They looked pretty robust all through the stream, so I figured I'd give them a try. It's early, but so far, so good...
Matt Knepley

#10 Guest_steve_*

Guest_steve_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:59 AM

Hog suckers are so dang cute. Unfortunately, mine only lasted for about 6-8 months until it jumped out. I'm sure that's not enough time to be a good indicator of complete sucker well being, but it did well and was actually growing. With exception of tank furniture, the entire bottom was covered with a couple inches of play sand. I always fed more than the other fish could eat. Eventually, the hog sucker would get excited with the rest of the fish at feeding time and appeared to be going after the blood worms with the darters. I can't say for sure that I actually saw it eating them in the water column though.

Good luck with them.

Glad to see that you're getting some good help collecting too. I always loved having my daughter go collecting with me before she got old enough to have other interests. I think hog suckers grow slow, but kids grow faster than creek chubs.............and that's fast.

#11 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

Our lab tank had a hog sucker last fall that also jumped, I stupidly hadn't seen that as a major risk. Now I know.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users