Little River Redlines

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

I went out to Perry Mill dam just downstream from Walland, TN on Saturday to see what was swimming about. Unfortunately the water was very turbid, I found out later that there was a considerable rain earlier in the morning and it was cloudy, visibility was about 30"-36" tops. I knew it was going to be a challenge and I accepted it. Because of the poor visibility I knew I was going to have to get extremely close and be very patient. I spent some time just looking around to see if I could see and warming up with still lifes of leaves. I finally made it over to the head of the riffle Casper and I explored a few weeks ago and found the Redlines. They had good color for early September, here a few images from Saturday.

Attached File  rl1.jpg   141.85KB   1 downloads

Attached File  rl2.jpg   117.95KB   1 downloads

Attached File  rl3.jpg   100.61KB   0 downloads

Attached File  idk.jpg   124.61KB   1 downloads
I'm not sure about this guy, any ideas. He was about 2-2.5" and there is a slight red band in his dorsal fin.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

My guess for your mystery fish is E. camurum.
Nick L.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

I agree, looks like E. camurum.

Love the Redlines, they are a beautiful fish.

#4 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Thanks guys. I was also considering E. vulneratum the wounded darter, but I think camurum is a better fit. There's a lot to be said for identification by consensus.

#5 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thanks guys. I was also considering E. vulneratum the wounded darter, but I think camurum is a better fit. There's a lot to be said for identification by consensus.

I thought the nose wasn't pointed enough for E. valneratum.

#6 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

Nice photos considering the poor conditions. That second one does have some good color.

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

The last one is an obvious Nothonotus. So what are the choices there? It does look like camurum to me as well, but some of those females in that clade can look pretty similar to me.

Looking at it again, I think we all are right with camurum

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

(You'll have to forgive my lack of commenting on the Redline photos....as a recovering Redline addict, I had to 'just say no' and walk away. Now that the urge to hoot an holler over your excellent pics [despite turbid waters] is over, I can safely say, well done Bryce.)

I love Bluebreasts too. Although coincidentally, I'm sure you've seen some fired up Redline males that have equally rivaling, blue-breasts.
Nick L.

#9 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Bluebreasts are a close third to my favorite darters stictogaster and maculatum. As far as beauty???? Too much to choose from.

#10 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Matt,
My choices are vulneratum, camurum and a female of something just as you stated. The rust colored spots and general lack of color raised the question of vulneratum, which is in the area/river.

Isaac, littlen, thanks for the compliments it was a tough day, the water was worse than in NC. The first image shows how yellow everything was, the second image was much shallower.

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Yep, then I think that bluebreast is the ticket. Not that anyone had much doubt, but it is good to rule the others out. Thanks for sharing Bryce. I know the conditions sucked and they are not your favorite photos, but those of us who aren't avid snorkelers probably all find them fascinating. I always enjoy the ones peeking out of crevices.

#12 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thanks Matt, I'm just trying to do my part. Darters rule.

#13 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

Could it possibly be a Greenfin, chlorobranchium? The females and juveniles look almost identical to bluebreasts. Behavior is much different though. If that fish was flighty and hard to approach, I'd vote greenfin. If it was more sedentary, I'd vote bluebreast. What are summer water temps like?

#14 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Derek,
I believe it's a bluebreast, it was quite sedentary. Summer temps probably top out in the high 60s-low 70s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users