North Carolina Collecting

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_asiegle_*

Guest_asiegle_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Has anyone had success collecting blackbanded sunfish in North Carolina, particularly on the eastern side of the state? We are hoping to find good resource spots for other smaller freshwater fish too!

Anthony Siegle
North Carolina Aquariums, Roanoke Island

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

Oh Boy are you in luck. I am sure someone will chime in on this soon enough.

#3 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

I can give you some spots just south of the NC border in SC. I am certain that Fritz can give you some spots in NC though. What other species are you looking for?

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Merchants Millpond is the site closest to Manteo that I know of. It is of course a State Park which doesn't normally allow "collecting" but since your aquarium is also a state agency I assume this can be negotiated. Other spots include Rhodes Pond between Dunn and Fayetteviille, Hinson Lake near Rockingham, and various ponds and marshy streams between Laurinburg and Hamlet. You can also buy captive-raised chaetodon, obesus, and gloriosus from Brian Zimmerman and other NANFA vendors.

#5 Guest_asiegle_*

Guest_asiegle_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Have you seen them in merchants millpond frequently?

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Once, around 1985. I guess that's not frequent enough for you, eh?
Have you checked the NC museum's online database?
Or ask the park staff if they've done any fish survey work?

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

You might want to PM Fritz as well. He and Gerald are both pretty savvy on NC fish.

#8 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Gerald gave the best spots plus there is Boiling Springs Lakes in Brunswick County. And Gum Swamp Lake in Scotland County.

#9 Guest_asiegle_*

Guest_asiegle_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thanks guys! How about redfin pickerel?

#10 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Most freshwater creeks flowing into Albemarle Sound should have both chain and redfin pickerel. Try around Plymouth, Lake Phelps, Perquimans & Pasquotank River tribs, ... Good luck telling them apart when < 3 inches. Mudminnows are good tankmates to keep with Enneacanthus. Pickerels are not (once they grow up).

#11 Guest_zooxanthellae_*

Guest_zooxanthellae_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:26 PM

Merchants Millpond is the site closest to Manteo that I know of. It is of course a State Park which doesn't normally allow "collecting" but since your aquarium is also a state agency I assume this can be negotiated. Other spots include Rhodes Pond between Dunn and Fayetteviille, Hinson Lake near Rockingham, and various ponds and marshy streams between Laurinburg and Hamlet. You can also buy captive-raised chaetodon, obesus, and gloriosus from Brian Zimmerman and other NANFA vendors.

I went to Hinson Lake on Gerald's advice a number of years ago, and caught E. chaetodon in just about every swipe. As far as other areas for smaller fw fishes, have you tried the canals along NC 64 just west of Mann's Harbor? I'm seeing many records in that general area of Enneacanthus gloriosus, Umbra pygmaea, and Etheostoma serrifer. That can't be more than 10 miles from your office.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users