Longear growth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:34 AM

Hey all. I've got 4 central longears that are about 1" in length in a 29 gallon tank (for now). I'm keeping the temp at about 78 degrees and feeding the heck out of them, trying to put some size on before I move them to the 55. Anyone know how long it will be before they start getting aggressive? They're all sticking together for now.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

A 29 gallon tank is a lot of space for 4, 1" fish. You're probably just not seeing the early stages of aggression, but it is likely there. Currently, there is plenty of space for recessive individuals to get away from the dominant ones. As they grow, you'll see it more and more. Especially as hormones (testosterone!) starts playing a larger role.

I think you'll be able to keep them in the 29 for a good while longer. At least until they are 3 or so inches. If you notice a lot of aggression before then, just move them to the 55.
Nick L.

#3 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

I've really got my fingers crossed that I somehow got 4 really docile longears. Haha
I really just need them to be too big for my 4" stonecat to eat, he's a proven murderer. Although I think I've finally found a food he likes (besides spotfin shiners) I still don't trust him!

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

You stonecat is certainly big enough to eat 1" fish. However, it won't be too long before they are too big for him to eat. The longear's profile (laterally compressed) makes them much harder to eat than say---a darter or shiner. I would be comfortable putting the two species together once the sunfish double in size. If you continue feeding as you are, it should only be a few more months.

I personally rank longears on the 'more docile' side of the aggression scale. That is just my personal experience with them.
Nick L.

#5 Guest_shaft6977_*

Guest_shaft6977_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Outstanding! Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users